Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

R

JPL941
JPL941 Member Posts: 51
edited August 2023 in Gas Heating

Hello

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,575
    There are ways to get hot water off a steam boiler, that may be another option depending on how much heat you need and how much your boiler has available. Probably would want to isolate at least some of it with a heat exchanger if you are having corrosion problems.
  • JPL941
    edited August 2023

I

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    Since you don't want to use your steam boiler -- which might be the least expensive option -- you really are kind of stuck. I'd probably go with a gas hot water heater, perhaps an on demand unit if you have the gas service to supply it, but I don't know what I'd do for space heat, since that has to be a small load. Probably the smallest mod/con I could find -- or possibly even one of the Rinnai through the wall vented gas space heaters.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    mattmia2
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,575
    I would go with a mod/con with a minimum firing rate a little below your smallest zone or as close as I could find, probably something with a 10:1 turndown ratio and an indirect tank. I'd make the indirect bigger if necessary to give you enough hot water with the boiler that matched the heating loads. I'm not sure if it is the most cost effective solution but it is an efficient and durable solution.
  • JPL941
    edited August 2023
    H
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    IIWM, I would weigh how many boiler/years I got out of the steamer for X dollars against the combi/years for X dollars.

Steamer could do an indirect HW tank, somehow the electric WH could be used for the main DWH in the summer. Crank up the temp and install a temp valve.
    Maybe a SS exchanger for the tubing.
    Just ideas as the steamer may be a reliable work horse.