Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Buderus GB142 Revision Set Air Vent Replacement

Options
Joe
Joe Member Posts: 12
The air vent on my GB142 is leaking. I just ordered it, and wanted to ask if there's anything I need to do before replacing the part. Do I need to drain anything? The replacement picture looks like there's a schrader valve, a locking ring, and a stopper that goes into the vent. Any help is much appreciated!

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,286
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Since the air vent is threaded into the piping, you may get wet. You may be able to get away with draining enough water to reduce the system pressure (cold) to or very low and stop there, and then quick like a bunny take the old one off and thread the new one in (use Teflon tape). That would be nice, as then you wouldn't have to purge the system... if that works don't forget to bring the pressure back up before you try to run it!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    "...quick like a bunny..." thanks for the chuckle! That'll be in my head every time I'm swapping out something like this, relief valve, etc.
    It sometimes helps to do it while you're draining, i.e hose on the boiler drain going into a floor drain, pulling a vacuum.
    I have even done it with the my cordless drill with an attached small pump on the boiler. Lock on the trigger, pull a vacuum, then 'quick like a bunny' replace the part.
    But yes, have it all ready to go, get the vent a little loose so you can spin it off by hand. Turn off the water feed, close all the valves you can (and Murphy's Law suggests they will drip a little when you open them back up). Make sure the boiler is cool. No sense messing with 190° water.
    steve
  • Joe
    Joe Member Posts: 12
    Options
    Thank you both, this is very much appreciated.