Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Please help In finishing install of steam boiler

Options
IsaacN
IsaacN Member Posts: 4
Hi everyone. I’m hoping for a little guide and help here. I’m converting from oil to gas. I passed inspections on my gas line and also new chimney liner... now that I have the gas inside, I am trying to finish my new boiler. I will post pics of the recent progress of the boiler. Hoping for someone to tell me what’s left in completion.
So, due to the way i had to come out the chimney to the damper, I had to cut some of the copper pipes...
question 1: boiler comes with a water cut off 24vdc but I have a hydrolevel water feeder vxt-120.. how do I go about wiring these two together, or do I need to get a vxt24.

Question 2: do I need a water expansion tank?

Question 3: from the pics, is there anything else missing that you notice, to finish boiler?
I know I have to install two drain valves on each side of boiler

Question 4: can I connect the circulator direct to the shutoff switch power? And also, does anyone know got the heck to undue a 3” Flange stuck on a piece of black pipe!? Lol

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,283
    Options
    Forgive me, sir or madam, but you are asking some incredibly basic questions for someone who is trying to install a steam boiler, and I have to wonder if you are not, perhaps, in way over your head.

You would be very wise to acquire the book The Lost Are of Steam Heating from this site and study it. Then also study the boiler manufacturer's piping diagrams for the near boiler piping (I see at least one serious error on a quick glance).

And no, on a steam heating system you do not need an expansion tank...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,639
    Options
    But you do need to use components designed for an open system on that condensate hot water loop if i'm not mistaken
  • IsaacN
    Options
    @mattmia2 thank you for your insight. I am the homeowner and yes it’s my first time installing a boiler(replacing an oil one to a gas one with original piping), but I’m pretty savy with piping, low voltage and electrical wiring. Also, I am checking out that book now. And it’s actually really interesting!
    What serious error did you see from the pics?

• IsaacN
    Options
    Sorry I meant that last comment to @Jamie Hall