Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

8 loop manifold -- 2 zones.

Options
TAG
TAG Member Posts: 755
What's the best way to split about equal sized rooms ? My current project has a slab with 8 loops servicing two 500sf rooms (4 loops to each) -- it's basically a walk out basement. The one room is under an addition with lots of glass while the other is tucked in under the main house (so less heat load).

I'm thinking now that I should have some additional control for the two spaces ... Is the easiest way to install 8 zone valves on the manifold with two thermostats --- pump feeding the manifold? With the new "smart" pumps I was wondering if maybe I could feed two 4 loop manifolds using a smart pump and zone valves to each.

Comments

• TAG
    Options
    I put this in the wrong area -- ?
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,284
    Options
    I've moved it. Thanks!
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    Wouldn't 2-4 hole manifolds be simpler, with zone valves on each?
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,142
    Options
    You would need 8 actuators wired 1/2 and 1/2. Confirm the current draw and transformer size, and that the thermostatic handle 4 actuators. Should work fine with the low current draw style actuators, 250mA each.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • TAG
    Options
    Zman: That's what I'm trying to understand.

How do you control that part within a larger system?

I have 3/8 plates/pex going into one large room (existing wood floor) The the bulk of the house is all new with Warmboard -- 2 Manifolds (5 loops and 7 loop). And the two room slab in this thread. So three types of radiant.

My plan is to use one water temp. It would be great to do it with only two pumps .....the boiler pump (Viessmann 200) ... and somehow use one pump with zone valves. But -- it seems that balancing and makings the water go to each of the manifolds is a problem.

The other way I end up with at least 4 pumps -- maybe 5 if I can't combine both the warmboard manifolds.

Hot Rod: That's my initial thought. Dedicated pump to an 8 loop manifold. But how to control? What company works that way. With the cost of the actuators .... It may be easier to get one of those Cross manifolds .. by the time I buy all the parts. The 3/8 plates does not need any individual zones ... only the whole manifold controlled.

With the Warmboard -- some control would be nice. But, only to keep some of it off
  • hot_rod
    Options
    Like Z man indicated, two 4 ports with a ZV on each. You still have balance ability, loop to loop. Or if you have additional manifolds a ZV on each one.

If you want a t-stat on several loops on one manifold, then you need actuators. You could do some of each. if one manifold is all one zone, use a ZV. if a manifold has several t-stat control loops, then you use actuators.

This drawing shows some balance options. Each manifold has a quick setter to dial in total flow requirement. Each zone has a balance function on the manifold. actuators could be added later if you want more loop control.

As long as the circulator is sized to the total flow rate, two pumps should work, a boiler and a system circulator.

I'd use a delta P circulator that will adjust to the changing demand with all those loops.

Thermostat connects to the zone valve, zone valve end switch calls on boiler and circulator.

Or with a delta P circ just plug it into a wall receptacle, really no need to turn it off and on.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Jolly Bodger
  • TAG
    Options
    How does that work with constant circulation with ODR. My plan was to have the bulk of Warmboard running all the time -- the large room with the retrofitted plates would have a thermostat as would 1/2 of the slab.

I would need a pump that could ramp up and down ... can they work with remote manifolds. I need the plates and 1/2 the Warmboard w/ remote manifolds ... about 25 feet away.
  • hot_rod
    Options
    Constant circulation, it can be done with some adjusting. the thermostat is really just a high limit.

IF you can adjust the system to add the same amount as the structure loses, bang! you have constant circulation.

Anytime the boiler puts more heat into the structure tan required either the stat turns off, or the space over-heats.

The circulator, any circ doesn't care where the manifolds are located.

The challenge with any system is getting everything sized properly, then assembled properly.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA