Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Condensate Neutralizer Maintenance

Options
Just was wondering. My Peerless condensate boiler has a neutralizer. According to the manual, for maintenance, the neutralizer must be cleaned.Does it go bad? Does it need to be replaced? I haven't cleaned it in 6 years. I'm worried about erosion of my cast iron pipes!

Comments

• Jolly Bodger
    Jolly Bodger Member Posts: 209
    Options
    The media will get used up. Get a pack of litmus strips and check the discharge from the boiler and discharge from the neutralizer.
    StephenPelosa
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,286
    Options
    And the required maintenance is simple -- if the neutralizer is used up (and in 6 years it probably is) open the thing up and replace the neutralizer.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    StephenPelosa
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,441
    edited November 2019
    Options
    I have 2 Axion NC-15 Neutra Pal kits sitting on my desk right now that need to be installed in systems that are currently pouring 3.5 PH water thru Transite sewers.
    I have never been in favor of limestone chips.(see article below) Many years ago, I started loading condensate neutralizers with a Cumo N-050P media, since bought out by 3M, 3M Aqua-Pure N-050P. I have a special way to do it.
    Testing the output of the neutralizer after 3 yrs shows a PH of 7 . I use to make my own neutralizers using 3" PVC, but have been using the Axion product. It's cheaper than the time spent making my own.
    I remove some of the media in the Axion and put in some of the Aqua-pure product.