Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Buzzing from boiler

JimmyNJ
JimmyNJ Member Posts: 107
Hi everyone: This morning as I was getting ready for work I heard a humming from the basement, I walked down and it appears to be coming from the boiler (it was firing). Could it be coming from the gas valve? Never heard this in my 12 years of living in the house. The only thing I can think of that may have contributed, is that last night our washing machine had a little bit of suds overflow which went on the floor and a little bit under the boiler and i used a shop-vac to suck it up. Could that somehow have screwed something up by my boiler burners? Is it a>safety issue? Potential fix? I've tried to post a video of the buzzing sound. Thanks for any help/guidance.

https://icloud.com/attachment/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fcvws.icloud-content.com%2FB%2FAdG-ZkjSfdgD2u-g9QHvhLMEWDzjAUoC9TqigjqsFkWUzRNE0BRNvshA%2F%24%7Bf%7D%3Fo%3DAhSG_Eh5Z6prghcxRFhN8iPCbXwd5Kq9vixv6ph_OdZE%26v%3D1%26x%3D3%26a%3DCAogggjrt9HGSEkE492dn2EwOOAqBfZS3yH1GDOyNyjS_zkSJxC648qW6i0YuvPF6vMtIgEAKggByAD_CKorQVIEBFg841oETb7IQA%26e%3D1577281747%26k%3D%24%7Buk%7D%26fl%3D%26r%3DF82C683B-07DD-48A3-B2AD-9D0DA4B6B6DB-1%26ckc%3Dcom.apple.largeattachment%26ckz%3D2A8D46CD-96CA-4835-B798-0AC57C9B7C82%26p%3D32%26s%3D89s4jXHaiN6pQi5JApi53XFkwhQ&uk=K-I_pT0BAXs4aVu9SPoH6g&f=IMG_8887.mov&sz=23254435

Comments

• Can you feel any vibration from the valve body?
    It could be from a transformer as well.—NBC
    ethicalpaul
  • JimmyNJ
    @nicholas bonham-carter Is the "valve body" the grate that you can unhook that covers the burners? I didn't notice any vibrations beyond the usual when the boiler fires but could check more when I get home. Never heard that buzzing sound before so a little nervous that something is about to break on the boiler.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,803
    To me it sounds like a relay. Can you post a pic with the door off and show the electrical components?
    I dont believe it's from the water unless it splashed over there.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    It's either the gas valve or a transformer. If you heard it from upstairs, it's most likely the gas valve.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,572
    can you tell specifically where it is coming from? regulators, either at the boiler or the gas meter can make buzzing sounds when they fail along with the electrical components. you could have bumped an electrical component such that the sound is now conducting through something it wasn't before
  • I was thinking of the gas valve body first, and secondly, the transformer.--NBC
  • JimmyNJ
    Thanks to all for the comments. Strangely enough (or perhaps luckily enough) I have not been able to replicate the noise since, so whatever it was that decided to "buzz" when the heat was on the other morning apparently went away on its own.
    ethicalpaul
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    It will be back

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
    Hap_Hazzard
  • Jolly Bodger
    Jolly Bodger Member Posts: 209
    @JimmyNJ Relays are know to do this at times. Occasionally they do not pull in just right and the magnetic force causes it to buzz. If this happens and you want to test this theory. Turn the burner off then back on. If it comes and goes it is probably the motor relay. You may be able to feel it buzzing. I have not found this to be indicative that it is going to fail. If the noise it bothersome, change it out.