Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Correct Thermostat for oil, steam, 1 pipe Weil McLain

JayWard617
JayWard617 Member Posts: 1
Wondering which thermostat would be most efficient for a newer model Weil McLain Oil steam System. Currently I have a standard Honeywell programable tstat with the setting on the back set to oil. Other than that there are no more options. I have 4 bedroom house 2,000 soft first and second floor heating in the basement with roughly 12 radiators.. I currently have the heat set to 72, 24/7 and the issue I’m having is the thermostat tell the system to come on when the home reaches 71 and right when the radiators just start to become hot after a long run time the temp reaches 72 the system shuts off and obviously the system starts to cool back down. 20 minutes or so later the system reaches 71 and kicks on again with same result. I feel like this is not efficient. Don’t get me wrong my house is very comfortable all my radiator valves are perfectly adjusted per room, my tstat is centrally located not near radiator or window or sunlight. Researching I haven’t found much similar issues online, my thoughts were a performance tracking thermostat that can learn how the system heats and cools down to maximize effeiency? Or a thermostat with a greater set back say set at 72 it would allow temp to get to 70/69 before heats kicks on to get max effieceny out of oil kicking off the system at 72 but radiator remaining warm potentially bring temp to 73/74? Or maybe a tstat with cycles per hour setting only allowing the system to turn on so often. Let me know your thoughts, thank you!

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,275
    Look through the documentation on your Honeywell. You may find that there is a way to set "cycles per hour" -- if so, set it to 1.

If not, most of the newer programmable digitals do have that option (sometimes coyly labelled "steam/gravity hot water") -- certainly most of the Honeywells do -- so it's sort of take your pick.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,060
    It is in the installer setup in the white paper.....the red book is for the homeowner.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,829
    The switch on the back, oil, gas/ electric is obsolete. I like the Honeywell line and theres many to choose from.