Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Vacuum breaker compatible with a Honeywell trv thermostatic radiator valve?

DPronto
DPronto Member Posts: 7
I am looking for the vacuum breaker compatible with a Honeywell trv thermostatic radiator valve. Can anyone point me to the right product?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,161
    Which of about a dozen Honeywell Thermostatic Radiator Valves are we looking at? (which are all meant for hot water) And why do we need a vacuum breaker?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Intplm.DPronto
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,880
    @DPronto I'm not sure what you are asking here?
    Backflow preventer for the water feed to your boiler perhaps?
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    The Honeywell steam TRV for 1 pipe steam systems does not come with a vacuum breaker like the Danfoss valves do. I speculate this is what is being asked for.

I can’t help with the vacuum breaker as I bought Danfoss when I was looking.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • Jamie Hall
    In which case it's a thermostatic radiator vent, not a thermostatic radiator valve. Two completely different animals. I'll buy that. Then the question becomes why is a vacuum breaker needed? Assuming (perhaps wrongly?) that there are other vents on the system -- which will not hold a vacuum -- you cannot get a vacuum in a radiator. You have an open pipe from the radiator all the way through to the boiler... and to any regular vents which may be on the system.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    With no vac bkr on TRVents, the air may not get back in and the radiator flood.......the finger over the end of the straw syndrome.
  • Jamie Hall
    I suppose... but it won't do that unless for some reason the steam feed opening from the runout into the radiator is really flooded. Seems to me, anyway. Maybe I'm missing something?
    Br. Jamie, osb
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    In a school with 2 1/2 floors, I could hear condensate flowing back on a 1 pipe system. It sound like several flush valve WC flushing.
    The old 1980's RAV's had no vac bkr. When temp satisfied the Rav closed, isolating the air vent from the rad. When rad off and cooling a vacuum was formed in the upper part of the rad and apparently enough to hold the condensate in the rad.
    This was on a maybe 14' 2" riser off the main to the 2nd floor.
    I never imagined it to be so, but hearing the water coming down seemed to confirm it.
    The vac bkr needs to go between the valve and the rad.
  • Jamie Hall
    Fair enough
    Br. Jamie, osb
    JUGHNE
  • DPronto
    DPronto Member Posts: 7
    Thank you, yes that's what we were told; that the vacuum breaker needs to go between the valve vent and the radiator. Which brings us back to our question if anybody knows which vacuum breaker to get with a honeywell V2042HSL10 One-Pipe Steam Radiator Valve and what supplier might stock them?