Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Looking for a replacement Gas Valve

Crashland
Crashland Member Posts: 3
Hello I have a 1958 Bryant FH water boiler. It has a magnetic diaphragm valve Bryant Model A635 that sticks on the
closed or half open position. When it sticks I give it a little tap with a golf club and it opens all the way. I know it is old but runs fine except for the valve sticking. I have looked at the Robertshaw line of valves but not sure which one to pick. On SS hate to have to get a new boiler. Thanks in advance

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Pictures of the existing gas valve and piping....include the pilot line and what controls it.
    How many BTUH input is the boiler?
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    edited November 2019
    Does the pilot tubing come off the gas valve or is it separate, off the cock? If the latter, there will be some retrofitting to do.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,725
    Also ... Are you using an iron or a wood to get the valve to open the rest of the way?
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    FYI, that valve can also stick open as easily as shut.
    And never shut off....electricity or not......
    as a volunteer fireman I have had personal experience with this on more than one occasion.
    So new valve sooner than later IMO.
    mattmia2
  • Crashland
    Thanks I understand
  • Crashland
    Thanks for everyone's time
    HVACNUT
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    Honeywell VR8300 series with some repiping will take care of it. You will also probably have to replace the pilot and go to a thermocouple.
    Crashland
  • John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 950
    We had a 200K boiler in the family home in the 80s, boiler from the 50s. Gas valve stuck on. Dad was home. Thought the place was blasting off to the moon. He doesn't know which end of a screwdriver to hold but managed to get the gas off. A year later the boiler split open. Seems to me time to put that relic out to pasture or at least not use til the valve is replaced.
    Crashland