Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Becket Oil Furnace Turning off/on rapidly repeating and won't stay on-Please help

AKneffler
AKneffler Member Posts: 5
I have an older Magic Chef oil furnace Model #L-6A84D-1 that uses a Becket Motor Y-173377
1041352 is stamped on the motor, problem is that the furnace motor shuts off/on repeatedly several times and then just shuts off completely before house is heated. I wait a 5-10 minutes and then press the reset
buttons and it will then run again for 10-15 minutes, and then starts shutting on / off again.
I have had a repairman out 4x now in the past 4 days. ......Please help

Comments

• pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,776
    S T O P hitting the reset!

A safety is shutting it down, you hitting the reset can load the chamber with oil, too much and bad things can and do happen.

Same repairman of different companies. After 4 attempts it should be a warranty call!
    AKneffler
  • DZoro
    DZoro Member Posts: 1,048
    Any idea what he did on those 4 occasions? There's a lot that could be wrong, but much more info is needed.
    Did he actually clean the heat exchanger?
    Check clean flue?
    Combustion analysis report?
    Smoke test?
    Recent fuel delivery?
    Filter change out, check oil quality, and more.
    Hopefully you can find some of this out, but have a feeling you may need to find a different oil guy.
    D
  • BDR529
    BDR529 Member Posts: 281
    The appliance repair guy couldn't fix it.
  • AKneffler
    Cleaned flue, did have a fuel delivery in August, changed filter/checked wire connections, put a new capacitor in motor, contacted Becket, the service guy on other end was pretty rude, told me the number I read to him off the motor decal was not theirs, after a while he finally told me a replacement motor 21805-U might be the right one....the capacitor on that one is on outside of motor, current motor capacitor is on the inside of motor housing.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    edited November 2019
    That number off the motor is not Beckett. The Beckett model is on the burner housing, AF, AFG, SR?

It really could be a lot of things, but shouldn't be hard for an experienced tech to find and repair.

On and off multiple times before going into safety could be a restricted oil line (high vacuum. Did he check?), faulty primary, poor combustion, on and on.

Can you post some pics of the furnace and burner? Not too close. What was done the previous 4 times? Any combustion test results?
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    The tech called Beckett? I wouldn't have too much faith in the tech or techs if that's the case.
  • AKneffler

• AKneffler
    I called Becket, not the Tech....figured what do I have to lose..so I started asking questions....
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,776
    Factory's wont talk to the end user. You do not have the training or tools required to be there eyes and ears!

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    edited November 2019
    Rapidly on and off is a loose wire, line or low voltage, or a bad primary control, bad fan/limit, shorting thermostat wiring, or something wrong with the transformer.
    This should be easy diagnostics as all the components are looking right at you.
    Proper diagnostics would be to confirm clean incoming power. Then work your way thru the wiring disconnecting components in order to you find it.
    If it were me, I'd confirm incoming clean power, then remove T-T off the primary, and jump it out. If there's still rapid on/off, I'd temporarily bypass the fan/limit. Still rapid on/off, replace the primary control with something from this century.
    steve
  • BDR529
    BDR529 Member Posts: 281
    No Firomatic, motor looks suspicious, handy home owner butchery. Nevermind it's a Magic Chef that shopuld have been replaced long ago. This will go swimmingly..
  • AKneffler
    edited November 2019
    " Furnace is now Fixed, Now working"
    The furnace was repaired after 5 visits by the Tech.
    Our neighbor called and advised me to inform the tech, to check the flame eye, and then replace the nozzle, a 5 min fix......
    furnace is working great..!
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    That may have solved your problem indirectly...
    steve
  • Jolly Bodger
    Jolly Bodger Member Posts: 209
    Find another oil tech. That is not even 101 level troubleshooting. What did he do on the other 4 visits?
  • DZoro
    DZoro Member Posts: 1,048
    Whhaaat? You need to find a different oil guy.

That is the one of the very first things one does when on a service call, amongst other items.
    5th call and had to be told via a neighbor to do some basic maintenance tasks, would be hard for me to write out a check for that BS.
    D
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,725
    Oil burner repair men are becoming a rare commodity. there are a lot of Dead OilHeat guys, and not enough young'ins to take our place! they don't like the smell of #2 on their sleeves. Ask your oil supplier for a recommendation (if the oil dealer does not have an in-house repairman employed)
    The oil dealer needs a man that can keep the burners operating!!! If the burners don't run, the oil don't burn. If the oil don't burn, he can't sell you more oil!
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics