Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Indirect tank ..... other than size -- any reason to get one over another?

TAG
TAG Member Posts: 755
Recently purchased a SS Buderus 42g as a replacement ... because it had the correct sensor well for the logmatic. cheaper vs the same Viessmann 42 gallon size. The Viessmann is a bit shorter and lager diameter. People seem to like the stainless Superstor -- cheapest of the three. Don't know what the sensor requirements are for the Viessmann 200 that's going in the building.

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    The sensor issue is pretty easy to overcome. Most have the same diameter and if they don't, you can adapt. With a condensing boiler, going with a model with a large heat exchanger is a win as you can run longer in condensing mode.
    Stainless models with large coils seem to be the most popular. The triangle tube smarts have great surface area but are finicky about O2 on the boiler side. There are a few older models like some Amtrols that have undersized serpentine coils which are prone to fouling.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • TAG
    The old Buderus tank had a heat sink clamp under the insulation sized for the sensor -- it seems all new tanks have some sort of well. There were a few reported problems retrofitting the Buderus sensor into others tanks. Not wanting any issues, I went with the Buderus SS indirect.

My new build will have a Viessmann 200 boiler -- so same issue. I'm seeing comments about sensor size. Viessmann tanks do get good reviews --- more money ..especially over the Superstor.

The Buderus are only 20" diameter -- so a bit easier to fit into a tight space vs the 24" for the Viessmann ...

• Zman
    Sensor wells are really the standard. The manufacturer will be able to get you a sensor that will fit in the well.
    Albert Einstein
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,575
    If I were to do it again I would think about getting the superstore ultra professional which has 2 coils and I would pipe those in series or parallel to get more transfer at a lower temp out of the mod con.
  • TAG
    Zman: Viessmann seems to only sell one sensor for the 200 going to an indirect.

Mattmia2: The double is interesting .. it's only in big sizes. interesting that Superstor sells small 20 and 30 gallon units.

Matching storage capacity to boiler size and use ... gets complicated. I guess that is why you see big electric units in many builder grade houses.
  • DZoro
    DZoro Member Posts: 1,048
    Water quality should be considered, stainless doesn't always agree with chlorinated, hard waters.
    Take the time and sample the water.
    IMO
  • Zman
    Albert Einstein
  • TAG
    Zman: That's the sensor I have for the B2HA-19 boiler. I really don't know what the problem was with the legacy Buderus sensor and non-Buderus tanks. It looks like the newer sensor that Buderus sells has a metal clip to hold it in place down in the well -- the clip goes around the outside ring on the tank.

What holds the Viessmann sensor ?

My Buderus sensor fits in the well .. but nothing really hold it there. Don't most tanks have large wells for the Honeywell type.
  • Zman
    They make a little clip you can use. A zip tie will work as well
    Albert Einstein
  • TAG
    I'm still trying to figure out what makes the Viessmann tank worth the extra money. Although, checking the Buderus tank has also increased in price since I purchased.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,575
    It says Viessmann.

There are different alloys of stainless used in the tanks, different coil materials and configurations, differences in the insulation and outer jackets, differences in tapping locations. Some will work better than others for a particular site condition, system design and water chemistry. Some will have better customer support than others.