Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

External Limit Open

Uncle_Cranky
Uncle_Cranky Member Posts: 6
edited November 2019 in THE MAIN WALL

I had Joe Star* install a boiler (Triangle Tube Prestige Solo-110) a few years back and now I can't seem to reach him and I'm stuck. System was mostly without issue until last year when we had it serviced (by other). After the service, we got this same error message maybe once per month. It disappeared for the warm weather so it's somehow related to heating. Now that its heating season, its back and its daily or multiple times a day.

Had someone come look at it and he wants to replace the ignitor and flame sensor for $. I can't see why that would be the issue being that it fires up easily after hitting the reset? Unsure what the "external trigger" may be or if its something I can address myself.

Anyone recommend someone versed in Triange Tube boilers in the central jersey area? Thanks!

Dave

Comments

• unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    External limit is field installed. Is there a limit straped to the supply pipe.
    Uncle_Cranky
  • unclejohn
    See if there is anything connected to terminals 11 & 12 on the terminal strip, should be orange wires there and a jumper across them if no external limit is used which is normally the case. Make sure terminal screws are tight.
    Uncle_Cranky
  • Uncle_Cranky
    Jumper is in place. Terminals were pretty tight.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,572
    follow the other end and make sure it is secure. undo the terminal and make sure someone didn't clamp the screws on the insulation instead of the wire. pull the other end and make sure something isn't screwed up with the terminals on that end.
  • unclejohn
    Looks like you have wires on terminals 9 & 10. That is for a manual reset limit so you must have something there thats auto reset. Trace the red and white wire from thoses terminals and at the end of them should be your trouble.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    check "find a contractor" on this site
  • unclejohn
    In fact I now see the brown jumper wire that was removed to instal what ever saftey ole Joe installed. Take a picture of what ever is at the end of the wire and will see if you can just get rid of what ever it is.
    Uncle_Cranky
  • Uncle_Cranky
    Low water cutoff? Sounds important.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,159

Low water cutoff? Sounds important.

Uh... yeah... kind of. There are two possibilities: the low water cutoff is malfunctioning, or you are low on water. Neither one is to be trifled with, and you should turn the boiler off until you have a chance to fix the problem.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Uncle_Cranky
    While 11 and 12 were very tight, I was able to get a 1/4 turn on both 9 and 10. I’ve never personally seen a red light on the low water cutoff.

Does the fact that this only happens with the heat on (hot water baseboard) mean anything?
  • unclejohn
    Your boiler has a pressure actuated low water cut off from the factory. Any idea what size pipe that the control is in. I can't tell if thats somekind of home made fitting and maybe the probe is touching the inside of the pipe. What is the boiler pressure reading at the little round gauge on front of boiler. Also it looks like the valve next to the side of the boiler is about 3/4 shut, why?
    If the pressure is above 12# and the house heats ok when it runs it is most likley a bad control. Don't call the people who want to change the igniter too do it. You can do with out that control since the boiler has it's own LWCO safty but it wouldn't hurt to have some one give it the once over. TT phone # is 856-228 8881 see if they can recommend someone in your area that has factory training.
    Uncle_Cranky
  • unclejohn
    edited November 2019
    If any of this has helped you please see this thread its either 1 or 2 on the wall.
    Please help the Franciscan Sisters of Kansas City
  • Uncle_Cranky

Thank you.
  • unclejohn
    Thanks buddy.
  • Uncle_Cranky
    After 3 days without issue, I woke up to a cold house this morning. Called Triangle Tube, who is ironically 1.5 hours away from my house and they don't have a local recommendation? Anyway, they referred me to their distributor who referred me to someone. Thanks everyone for your help!