Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How to Override the auto water feeder in order to skim the boiler

I am concerned that I will damage the low water cut off and/or auto water feeder if drain the boiler in order to attach piping to the skimmer port. If I just turn off the valve of the water supply, drain it to to below the skimmer port level, and the low water probe is triggered and the feeder tries to feed water will a possibly damage either one? I’m probably being paranoid but I don’t feel like making an emergency call to replace or possibly damage the new boiler.

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    edited November 2019
    You're going to have to feed the boiler while your skimming. Isn't the skim port height above the low water cutoff probe?
    I guess the other question is why didn't the installer skim the boiler, unless you were the installer.
    steve
    tomsloancamp
  • tomsloancamp
    tomsloancamp Member Posts: 88
    When I drained it 1-2 inches below skimmer tapping (according to manufacturer ) the low water cut off is triggered. I’ve attached a photo of where the skimmer is. I apologize ahead of time
    If I didn’t answer your question correctly... I’m
    A newbie to all off this...
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    edited November 2019
    It shut off the burner or it triggered the feed? Can't tell where the probe is based on your picture but it should be below the skim port, unless there's another place to skim.

Hey what's up with the conflicting instructions? I'm sure it's CYA.
    steve
    tomsloancamp
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846

When I drained it 1-2 inches below skimmer tapping (according to manufacturer ) the low water cut off is triggered. I’ve attached a photo of where the skimmer is. I apologize ahead of time

If I didn’t answer your question correctly... I’m

A newbie to all off this...

The easiest thing to do is just shut off the water supply to the auto-feeder while you're installing your skim pipe. It won't hurt the feeder. You could also just drain to about ¼" below the skim port. I don't know why they say 2". You just don't want any water leaking out the port and getting into the jacket insulation. A third alternative would be to turn off the power to the boiler controls. Once you installed your skim pipe, you can fill it back up to the normal level. While you're skimming, you'll want to add water manually so you can add water at the same rate it's coming out of the skim port.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
    ethicalpaul
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,695
    Yeah, what @Hap_Hazzard said: just cut the power to the boiler and that should stop the autofeeder
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    edited November 2019
    I have a pair of boilers that have feeder pumps and no way to manually add water for skimming.
    I get the boiler temp up to near boiling and shut off. Then I use a garden hose on the boiler drain connected to a source with a double female hose adapter.....a washer conn hose is very handy for this BTY.

Then just slowly add water into the bottom of the boiler.
    Just the smallest steady stream of water out.

The parish priest is trained to do this while doing vespers or such. ;)

If you are using that 3/4 port, adding a 90 ell and 4" or so long nipple will keep the water from dribbling all over the side of the boiler.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    To answer your question you wont damage the feeder or the low water cutoff by draining the boiler. Just shut the power off first so the feeder can't feed.

If you don't have a manual valve to feed the boiler while skimming what @jughne mentioned above with the washing machine hose will work.

You can also buy a female-female garden hose coupling.
    tomsloancamp
  • tomsloancamp
    tomsloancamp Member Posts: 88
    Ok so here’s a really dumb question.... can I used the emergency switch or would I use the breaker?
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,695
    The emergency switch is fine
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el