Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Piping that goes to radiator are to high

Dairon421
Dairon421 Member Posts: 80
The old radiators was stolen from the customer house. So I'm installing new ones but the supply and return piping coming out the floor are to high. Tell me all the solutions to fix the problem please.

Comments

• GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,889
    Lower them
    Dairon421
  • psb75
    psb75 Member Posts: 828
    Raise the radiators.
    Dairon421
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    Steam or water? Makes a difference. Can you put shorter nipples on the risers coming out of the floor?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Dairon421
    > @Jamie Hall said:
    > Steam or water? Makes a difference. Can you put shorter nipples on the risers coming out of the floor?

Hot water Boiler. Thinking about just making the pipes shorter
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,883
    Dairon421 said:

> @Jamie Hall said:

> Steam or water? Makes a difference. Can you put shorter nipples on the risers coming out of the floor?

Hot water Boiler. Thinking about just making the pipes shorter

That's what I would do. Cut the piping down. Use fittings to fit to the lower dimension.

Copper piping ? Baseboard radiation ?

Hang the new baseboard radiation a little higher and then fit to the supply and return.
  • Dairon421
    > @Intplm. said:
    > (Quote)
    > That's what I would do. Cut the piping down. Use fittings to fit to the lower dimension.
    >
    > Copper piping ? Baseboard radiation ?
    >
    > Hang the new baseboard radiation a little higher and then fit to the supply and return.

Black pipe. They using cast iron radiators
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,883
    Stolen cast iron radiators . And one would think it was stolen copper fin tube radiation $$.
    Maybe a combination of raising the rads and lowering/cutting the piping.
  • Dairon421
    > @Intplm. said:
    > Stolen cast iron radiators . And one would think it was stolen copper fin tube radiation $$.
    > Maybe a combination of raising the rads and lowering/cutting the piping.

Yeah i was thinking about using a radiator elbow union and have it angled up,then i just put in a nipple i need so I can get to the same height of the piping.
    Intplm.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    If the inlet/outlet valves are higher than the rad connections, you risk an air pocket that may stop the water flow.

There was a posting here where that may have been the problem with some BB convectors. The convectors could possibly have a higher flow that might have moved the air on thru. Your CI rads could be a slower flow that may not move the air bubble thru. And IIRC you will have 2 high points at each rad.