Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Help with speed skimming on Slant/Fin

I was wondering how to go about speed skimming a Slant/Fin Galaxy boiler. Unfortunately, Slant/Fin doesn’t provide any manual or publication about skimming. I’m including a photo for assistances because I’m not sure where to skim from?

Comments

• Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,882
    Never a good idea to "speedskim" as you say. It will not work.
    If you want it done right slow and steady wins the skim race. And maybe more than one long drawn off skim will be needed.

STEVEusaPA
  • tomsloancamp
    tomsloancamp Member Posts: 88
    Ok, I understand what you mean. What would I need to skim. I’m assuming I need some piping and a shutoff valve.
  • The Steam Whisperer
    The Steam Whisperer Member Posts: 1,215
    Just slowly add water to a hot boiler, but not steaming, and allow the water to come out the skim tapping. The Slant Fin skimming is probably the best design in the industry since they have an extra large end section with a wide dam built in to allow very quick and very efficient skimming of the boiler. They also produce exceptionally dry steam with thier unusual internal passage design... again I think it is the only one in the industry set up that way. I would use thier equipment much more often, but the reps in Chicago are very poor. For the Galaxy, speed skimming is real.
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
    Intplm.
  • Intplm.
    The skim port is usually just about at the water line. As @The Steam Whisperer Says. ( Slowly )........ fill the boiler to about halfpipe or less allowing the the flow of water to "skim" the debris from the water surface.
  • tomsloancamp
    There is piping coming out around the water level line the has a cap on it. Can I just remove the cap or do I need to by some pipe and add a shutoff valve. Would I put the cap back on after skimming is complete?
  • tomsloancamp
    I purchased a 3/4 in. galvanized coupling, 3/4 in. X 8in. Gal steel pipe nipple, and a 3/4 brass ball valve. Will this do for a skim valve assembly? Also the manufacturer states to drain 1-2 inches below skimmer tapping. Can I use the sight glass as a gauge?
  • Intplm.

I purchased a 3/4 in. galvanized coupling, 3/4 in. X 8in. Gal steel pipe nipple, and a 3/4 brass ball valve. Will this do for a skim valve assembly? Also the manufacturer states to drain 1-2 inches below skimmer tapping. Can I use the sight glass as a gauge?

Sounds about right.
    You can use the sight glass as a line of sight but that depends on your boilers tappings.

Add water to the hot boiler at about half pipe or less. Slowly.