Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New safety valve location - the header

Options
Mike_Sheppard
Mike_Sheppard Member Posts: 696
edited October 2019 in THE MAIN WALL
Safety valve installed in header instead of the boiler...

And pumped return condensate line tied in at center level of gauge glass. No close nipple. Sounds like it’s going to take off every time the condensate pump comes on.
Never stop learning.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,284
    Options
    Did you do that? I hope not...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Mike_Sheppard
    Options
    @Jamie Hall absolutely not.

I was here today to doing a combustion check on these boilers. Installed 2016. Turns out a startup was never performed. They’ve never been tuned up before but have been running since 2016.
    Never stop learning.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    Shame on the Maryland safety inspector, as he put his tag next to the sight glass!--NBC
  • Mike_Sheppard
    Options
    @nicholas bonham-carter it’s amazing what gets passed here. They’ll fail a pumped return steam boiler for not having a Hartford Loop but the exhaust can be wrong and dumping into the room, gas line undersized, boiler piped wrong, etc and they don’t even bat an eye.
    Never stop learning.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,523
    Options
    Safety valve on the header is ok as long as there is no valve between it and the boiler and the piping is at least as large as the safety valve.

Condensate coming in from a pumped return into the middle of the equalizer isn't good.

Converted many old steel boilers from high pressure to low. Low pressure requires a safety valve with a larger tapping to relive the same BTUs at lower pressure. Some of the older high pressure boilers did not have a larger tapping. We installed many on the header completely acceptable under ASME CODE
  • Mike_Sheppard
    Options
    @EBEBRATT-Ed

No kidding. Wow. This is the first time I’ve ever seen a relief valve on a header. I need to find that ASME code haha
    Never stop learning.