Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiator valves and ghost flow

I own a condo in a 6 unit building. Last winter, my neighbor (whose unit is directly below mine) and I both had some leaky valves replaced by the same contractor. When spring came, we both noticed that the radiators on which we had valves replaced stayed hot even when the valves were closed.

I contacted the contractor, and he said that we were experiencing ghost flow and installing a bypass would help. We had the bypass installed a few weeks ago, and nothing has changed.

Is there anything that could have gone wrong with the initial valve installation that could have caused this problem?

Comments

• DZoro
    DZoro Member Posts: 1,048
    Some pictures would be helpful if you can.
    D
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,275
    Am I missing something? Ghost flow in loops does occur -- we've all seen it. However... if a valve is closed, you can't get ghost flow. The water could go in the return, granted, but where is going to go after that?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Caroline
    Caroline Member Posts: 3
    Here's the radiator that's getting the hottest. I had the supply valve (near the floor) replaced, and he thought the ghost flow was coming up through the return pipe.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,275
    Well... if that valve were open you could get flow up through the return, through the radiator, and back out the supply. Under certain conditions. But if the valve is closed...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England