Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

help with steam boiler

pkelly
pkelly Member Posts: 1
I believe my automatic fill failed and was overfilling my steam boiler. I happened to be standing next to the boiler when it again attempted to fill the boiler. water started pouring out of the top of the sight glass. I turned off the water feed and changed out the sight glass (which was cracked at the top). Now the boiler won't start. When I turn it off and on, the motor starts then the amber light comes on then nothing. I tested the low water cut-off by draining the boiler (warning light came on) and refilled (light went off) is it possibly the spark igniter? Thinking maybe it got sprayed with water, or something else??? I've tried a "jump wire" on pressuretrol as well as the low water cut-off any ideas?? Any steam experts left on long island???

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,828
    insufficient information. What kind of motor comes on until an amber light comes on then nothing! Where is the amber light? on the LWCO? is it a gas fired boiler? is it an oil Fired Boiler? You posted in Gas Heating but i'm picturing an oil primary control with an amber light. or possibly a fan assisted gas boiler with some sort of ignition control that has an amber light. or the amber light could be on the LWCO.

without more information you wont get anyone to help you here. there are too many steam boilers to guess at your problem.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,275
    There are still good steam men on Long Island. Check the "Find a Contractor" facility on this web site.

In the meantime, a few pictures always help. In this case, take several which show all the possible controls on the boiler -- low water cut out(s), pressuretrol(s) particularly. It is possible that you many have more than one of either one, and that one of them may be a manual reset type. Also the whole front of the boiler, and a closeup of the burner and the control in question.

I might add, however, that if the boiler ignition or control module got soaked, it must be replaced.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England