Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Weil-McLain ECO Boiler Remote Display Flashing Red

I have an ECO 110 that was installed late 2016. It's been running without issue since then. It's only used for heating so it hasn't run since late spring. When it attempted to start over the weekend the boiler circulator which is connected to the control module started as normal. I also was able to confirm that I have 120V to the control module as well as 27V coming from the transformer to the control module. However the boiler display just flashes red & the boiler does not start. I called Weil-Mclain support & they suggested I buy the maintenance kit & clean the boiler. While I certainly am not opposed to doing as they suggested the kit is Backordered at my favorite parts site (SupplyHouse.com). In the meantime can anyone let me know if they've run into this issue & if the solution was the boiler cleaning?

Thanks
Joe

Comments

• flat_twin
    flat_twin Member Posts: 350
    Home owner here with the same boiler. Flashing red indicates a lockout condition. I've never seen that display screen when it didn't have information displayed . Can you open the installers menu screen? If so, go to the diagnostics screen and check for errors.
    How about the basics. Gas turned on? Exhaust vent and combustion air pipes are clear? Water pressure? You said you hear the circulation pump start running. Do you also hear the blower fan start the pre purge cycle or clicking when it tries to fire before the display screen goes to red?
    Has the condensate trap ever been cleaned?

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    A blank screen is wrong. I say internal error. A maintaintanence kit doesn't do you any good without 1- the cleaning tool, that's not provided with the kit, and 2- do you have a combustion analyzer to check and adjust for proper operation? Running without an issue for 3 years and no maintenance, only means there will soon be issues. Call a Pro familiar with your boiler.
    DZoro
  • Joe_Petruzzo
    Joe_Petruzzo Member Posts: 7
    I have an older Weil-Mclain Ultra boiler at another house. So I'm familiar with the flashing red lockout screen. However this screen is blank, no text displayed. I didn't think to try getting into the contractor menu. I can give it a shot & see what happens.
    The boiler doesn't go through any start up sequence... No blower fan or ignition attempts.
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Power it down and wait a minute. What happens on power up?

I've got a few W-M out there and I've never seen the screen without any text.
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • mikeg2015
    mikeg2015 Member Posts: 1,194
    That blank screen is like Hal from Space Odyssey. You boiler is angry.

I wonder how W-M suggested anything without an error code?

Wonder if a wire is loose and the display has power, but no communication so it defaults to that screen.
  • DZoro
    DZoro Member Posts: 1,048
    any moisture get to the screen/board?
  • flat_twin
    flat_twin Member Posts: 350
    Joe, Any updates on your boiler?
  • Joe_Petruzzo
    Thanks everyone for your help / input... Just got it running.
    I have experience with computer equipment, so I had a hunch that something might be wrong with the neutral wire. I ran an individual conductor from the boiler control module to the neutral bar on the service panel. The display came right up ! Now so you guys don't think this a rookie mistake, I tested the power cable with one of those plug outlet testers before I posted to the forum. I got the correct lights. Also have a Taco Zone relay with attached circulators, Taco Bumble Bee system circulator & a PowerVent hot water heater all on the same circuit running correctly. The remote display must be very sensitive.
    Also really disappointed with the advice I got from Weil-Mclain support... The suggestion I buy the maintenance kit & clean the boiler for this issue.
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • DZoro
    DZoro Member Posts: 1,048
    Was the outlet that the boiler was plugged into a dedicated outlet, and circuit breaker dedicated to just the boiler?
    The maintenance on those boilers are very important to maintain a clean heat exchanger, if not done annually the H/E tends to rot out quickly.
  • Joe_Petruzzo
    There's a "heating circuit" , so boiler, circulators, Taco relay box, hot water heater on one breaker. I plan on running a new cable from circuit breaker panel to the boiler outlet box. Same loads will be on it but I will eliminate 100 ft of bx that snakes up to the attic then back down to the basement. Assuming this more direct power install will eliminate many possible points of failure.
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Very interesting! Thank you for the update!

I relocated my ECO display 10 away to the front of my control cabinet. Noticed they dont use anything special just 18/4 low voltage cable. Boiler wouldn't start, didnt go into red screen though.

I was determined to have it in this location though. Ran a shielded 18/4 and grounded only the boiler end, and it's been running for 2 years now.

Some emails to tech support wasnt super helpful either. I've had excellent luck with W-M products otherwise. This was just my own house and thought they would be more forthcoming with information with a contractor who had spent a lot of money on their boilers.
    HVACNUT
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Btw, BX if it's the cloth insulated conductor stuff with an overall steel jacket is bad stuff! I'd replace as much as you can.

Dont use the jacket as a ground, it has high resistance and turns into a nice heating element before it will trip a breaker.
  • Joe_Petruzzo
    @ Solid_Fuel_Man… BX is from early 1950's. The insulation on the conductors does crumble if moved too much. I will be replacing it. I'll also run a real ground to the boiler. As for the unhelpful tech support I feel better now hearing that you experienced the same thing. I thought that since I called in as the homeowner I got second rate support ;-)