Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Any Reason Why I Can't.

JackW
JackW Member Posts: 236
In the picture below is there any reason why I can't extend the primary loop and put a tee at the end then branch off of the tee with the circulators in the horizontal position, then 90 degree down to my manifolds, there by eliminating the U's on top of the circulators and a lot of piping and elbows. Extending the primary was suggested my HomerJSmith but I'm not clear on how to mount the circulators.
Thanks,

Comments

• rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    You would be feeding the new pumps off a "bullhead" tee scenario by coming off the tee the way you show it. I would put a tee in the vertical portion going back down to the existing pumps, go to the right , and then up. You also want to make sure your pumps have built in check valves in them.
    Rick
    JackW
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,426
    edited October 2019
    Are we doing this again. Why are you insistent on rising off the primary circuit. Go South Young Man. A take off on Horace Greeley. Look when you rise off the primary loop and go down you are just making a trap for air. Move the pumps below the primary loop. Put 10 pipe diameters of distance before the intake to the pumps and 5 pipe diameters of distance after the pump of straight pipe. Just put the pumps below the primary loop. The air will rise to the air eliminator which will be the highest point on the loop. Your air eliminator will be happy & thank you.
    JackW
  • JackW
    Rick the pumps do have check valves in them. I don't understand the part about going "right then up".
  • JackW
    Homer I get the part about rising off the primary and creating an air trap, what I don't get is how to put the pumps "below" the primary loop. Wouldn't I have to turn them upside down to do that? What am I missing?
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    JackW said:

Rick the pumps do have check valves in them. I don't understand the part about going "right then up".

What I meant was to put a tee on the primary loop where it drops down to the other pumps ,say halfway down or so. Point the tee to the right, then go out of it a short distance and then put a 90 on going up. Go up to where you need to, then head left to connect your pumps. By coming off the side of the drop down part of the primary loop, it will help get the air in to the air eliminator. It would be better if you could re-pipe it all to make the air eliminator the high point, but I understand why you can't.
    Rick
    JackW
  • JackW
    edited October 2019
    Thanks Rick. This Isn't my set up it's one I pulled off the internet, it's the simplest one I could find and the closest to what my setup looks like.
    I don't understand what you are saying, I'm really sorry but I can't picture what you want me to do. When you say go to the right do you mean towards the boiler? I'll try to draw a picture of what I think you want me to do and post it tomorrow. I'm really sorry about this, I do appreciate your help.
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,889
    I always wondered why folks would pipe them up to go down. And then I had a bunch of airlocked zones on several different systems from the bubbles floating up and collecting under the IFC. I now pipe them up and the problem no longer exists. Air against the IFC won't allow the circ to move water
    JackW
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,616
    @JackW, why not post a pic of what you have and ask for suggestions on what changes to make to that, instead of mentally reworking a slightly odd internet DIY special?
  • JackW
    Ratio I wish I could, my problem is I don't have anything piped right now. I tore my old system out and all I have setup are my two manifolds and the boiler. I'm using the DIY special as a pattern only because the mounting board and boiler are similar to my setup. My manifolds are at the bottom of the board though and spaced about 2 ft. apart c/c. I'm just trying to get this right the first time so I don't have to go back and unsolder my screw ups. My problem is I don't understand what some of the guys want me to do. I really appreciate all their help but I can't visualize the changes. I'll keep banging away and hopefully it will click.
    Thanks.
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,616
    Ok. If you're going to be starting over fresh on a wall, you shouldn't have much existing 'creative piping' to worry about. Take a sheet of paper (or do it on a computer if you want) & draw up the existing pieces in roughly the right places, then start adding in the rest (boiler, pumps, etc.). Start with the illustration in the boiler manual & then add in the extra parts. Draw it roughly to scale, but don't worry too much about it. Scan & post that. Feedback about what you should change is a lot more useful than feedback about what some other guy did wrong.

Did Pumping Away arrive yet? It's a quick read, Dan's writing style is very accessible. It'll help with the initial design.

JackW
  • JackW
    Yes it did it's a great read, very informative, thanks. I'll do that. I took a picture of my mounting board with the boiler and manifolds on it then I'll draw the plan I have in mind and we can go from there, thanks again.