Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiant Floor Heating - Q's on an existing system...

Options
We are looking at purchasing a new home, it consists on a 2800sqft shop with 1000sqft attached residential. The entire slab is heated with radiant floor heating. I have zero knowledge with it and was wondering if anyone with more experience could take a look at some photos and tell me if it appears to be done properly. We do plan to have a home inspection done, but from past experience they generally just check to make sure everything is in working order.

Thanks for any help, advice and comments.

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    The plumbing and heating was done by 2 different contractors. The heating work looks nice. The plumber was a hot mess!

Your system looks to be well layed out and installed. I would suggest paying a pro to do a full service on the boiler including cleaning the heat exchanger and combustion analysis unless the seller has good service records to share. The heat exchangers on that model tend to clog up if they are not regularly serviced. The left exhaust vent in your picture appears be yellowing. That is a sign of excessive heat which can be caused by a clogged exchanger.

I am jealous :D of your garage to home ratio
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    bodean123STEVEusaPA
  • bodean123
    bodean123 Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Thank you for the comment on the yellowing, that's extremely helpful. I have been reading some very negative reviews on that particular boiler, but I'm also lead to believe with proper installation and service it's not a terrible unit.

The plumbing definitely looks like a hack job.

Here is the home in question.

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Agree with @Zman
    I always wanted a shop where someone added a house.
    There’s no way a home inspector will have any idea what they are looking at nor would you want them touching it trying to get it to run.
    The previous owner may be your best source for information.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• bodean123
    bodean123 Member Posts: 4
    Options
    I'm going to have the realtor reach out to the current home owner for some service records and see if I can track down the original installer. Unit is about 10 years old, it is also currently running, we are already into freezing temperatures at night here in Western Canada.