Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Vertical steam boiler for low pressure steam

Has anyone used a vertical tubeless boiler like a Lattner on a low pressure steam heating system? Where you would typically see a cast iron sectional, could you use a boiler like this in its place? I’ve seen this style only in high pressure applications like laundry so I was wondering if anyone has applied it on a 2 psi radiator system

Comments

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,803
    Um, why would you want to? A high pressure vessel is for just that. But I use a crop duster to fertilize my meager 1/3 acre so what do I know.
  • jordanc
    jordanc Member Posts: 4
    Better footprint and packaged boiler not a knockdown sectional
  • RayWohlfarth
    RayWohlfarth Member Posts: 1,459
    I have sold the Triad model of the Superior boilers for years and they work great. Fits through most doorways
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
    jordanc
  • jordanc
    Thanks Ray. I got to work on some superior creek water boilers, nice product. So I’m curious with this style of boiler what the header piping would look like. Like would the small nozzle size create an issue, like with having wet steam? would you pipe an equalizer line, and if you brought return back to the boiler without a tank and pump would that be an issue? So it would be piped with a Hartford loop and an equalizer line coming down off of a steam header?
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,103
    I would not recommend it I have seen them trying to be used for single pipe and it was terrible .They would be replaced every few years water line issues where one of the problems and height was another . Plus there not designed for heating there designed for commercial applications mostly as you have stated in laundry mats and dry cleaners .stick w a cast iron boiler ,pipe it properly and use a demineralizing filter on your make up water .if asked to install one in a residential or commercial application for heat I would go to my truck to get a bigger screw driver .plus I believe the cost is quite high in comparison to a cast iron sectional Peace and good luckc lammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • jordanc
    Thanks Clammy. I found it intriguing that they advertise for low pressure steam, because I don’t really see a good application for them, the lattner anyway in low pressure. From what I found on the superior triad, it looks like a really good steel boiler and would have its place when you want a package boiler that would fit through a doorway.
  • mikeg2015
    mikeg2015 Member Posts: 1,194
    Wouldn’t it be better to just use two smaller packaged atmpspheric’s in tandem if it won’t fit, if your trying to avoid knock down assembly.