Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Beckett burner losing its prime

Options
jamesy
jamesy Member Posts: 5
I changed out a non functioning Suntec oil pump on a Beckett oil burner last week. I removed the oil line check valve that someone had installed at the burner. Because Suntec say not to use them. This is a one pipe installation. Since then the burner loses its prime. The top of the oil tank is about 4 ft below the oil burner. Is installing a return pipe my best bet? Advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Jim

Comments

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,833
    Options
    Not only will converting to 2 pipe not solve the problem, finding and repairing the suction leak will be cheaper and less labor. The suction leak probably killed the first pump. Bad flare, gaskets, filter canister, threaded swing joints, pin hole in the oil line. Find it and fix it. Pull oil with a hand pump, then do a power bleed and vacuum test.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,519
    Options
    with the top of the oil tank 4' below the burner and the oil level is below that by some unknown dimension depending on the size of the tank you probably looking at a maximum of 6-8" of vacuum.

One pipe will work but everything must be absolutely oil tight.

I will be voted down but I would make it two pipe. Converting to two pipe is NOT a substitute for making the suction line oil tight
  • jamesy
    Options
    HVACNUT thank you. Makes a lot iof sense. I did pressure test after changing out the oil filter. Only did 3 lbs put it head for 5 minutes. I see how it goes and let you know.
    Thanks again for your opinion.
    Jamesy
  • jamesy
    Options
    EBEBRAT-Ed thank you. Like I said above I replaced the oil filter and gaskets and did a pressure test. Held 3 lbs for 5 minutes. I comment back if I still have issues. Thank you for your opinion.
    Jamesy
  • jamesy
    Options
    I’ve been seeing Tiger loop mentioned in blogs. Some say it’s a band air. But do they help? Seems like they would. Do you have experience with them? Thanks
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,280
    Options
    jamesy said:

EBEBRAT-Ed thank you. Like I said above I replaced the oil filter and gaskets and did a pressure test. Held 3 lbs for 5 minutes. I comment back if I still have issues. Thank you for your opinion.

Jamesy

It is not at all uncommon for a connection to hold pressure, but not hold vacuum. Your set up needs to be checked under at least 10" of vacuum -- and holding.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,833
    Options
    Yes, what at @Jamie Hall said, it must absolutely be a vacuum test.
    As far as the Tiger Loop goes, it's a band-aid for what you're thinking of doing. I do like the Tiger Loop Ultra, but not as a repair.
  • jamesy
    Options
    Jamie Hall and Hvacnut thank you. I will do the vacuum test. Great advise. Thank you.