Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Odd or not?

john p_2
john p_2 Member Posts: 367
edited October 2019 in Gas Heating
Installing basement baseboard heat loops and used copper pipe between the end of the Pex loops and the manifold. Due to lack of space for the back to back bends on the Pex connecting to the manifold. I dislike of the sloppy appearance the Pex tubing strapped to the unistrut. Thoughts...

Comments

• rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    No offense, but that does look kind of weird with that little bit of copper pipe for that short distance. I wonder if maybe you could use copper clear to the manifold and use compression nuts at the manifold?
    Also, tell us about that gauge on the gas line. That looks interesting.
    Your installation looks very clean by the way. Good job!
    Rick
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,880
    Yup. Pex tends to look like that. Building a ladder of unistrut to secure the pex to the unistrut will neaten up the job nicely. It will also secure the pex quite well.

You can also redirect the tubing off to the left side where the open space on the diamond plate is behind the tank.

Nice looking work by the way.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    From a purely artistic point of view, the pex-copper-pex transition is a little unusual. If anyone looks at that workmanship and is at all critical, you should kindly show them to the door :)
    Nice work!
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    john p_2Rich_49
  • Intplm.
    Hmmm! Yes. The gauge on the gas line? What's that all about?
  • Intplm.
    You can also add some pex to the lengths to make a tighter and neater turn. You can also add some ninety degree pex elbows to tighten the horizontal to vertical.
  • john p_2
    Thanks for all the comments...
    #1. The gauge on the gas. I installed as a curiosity for checking pressure drop when the boiler fires...and it does drop to just above minimum pressure required for that boiler.
    #2.As far as I know adapters to the manifold X sweat are not made but they should be, also I'm not a big fan of compression fittings - I guess it's the pipefitter in me, not a plumber.
    #3. Not a fan of the Pex elbows, too short a radius. As you may or may not see I used long radius elbows almost exclusively on the entire system - big fan of LR elbows, 45's and deburring cut pcs. of pipe.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Could you turn the manifold 180 degrees
    steve
  • gennady
    gennady Member Posts: 839
    edited October 2019
    There are ports on gas valve for measuring gas pressure. No need for gage. Also, these tees for gage and dirty leg are considered to be the future connections and not allowed in nyc. I’m not sure about your locality thou.
  • john p_2
    As for turning the manifold, I'm not interested in doing that, I'm fully committed to the way it's laid out now. Also, I believe the actuators are not supposed to be installed any way but the orientation as I have the manifold.

As for the gas gauge & dirt leg...thankfully I live in NJ and it's been inspected and passed.
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    May have ports on other area's but the gauge takes all question out of what you have..I like it.. as far as the pex..how about crossing under the manifold and having a short straight piece of pex come down to the copper.. like a swivel connection.. without the black benders it would look cleaner..imho
    347 Member Posts: 143
    What I have in the past is, run a piece of 11/2" or 2" pvc down the wall and use gal straps. Sleeve the pex through the pvc and make nice sweeps into the manifold. It cleans up the pex coming down the wall .
    Intplm.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,018
    I like the Sioux Chief pex ells for hydronic work, a nice long sweep.

PAP makes the bends and straight sections stay put better.

Caleffi, maybe others have inverted manifolds available. The only concern is with chilled water where condensation could run down into the actuator. There are hermetically sealed actuators available for that application also.

Nice piping, plumbing and fitter- wise :)
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • john p_2
    Thanks Hot Rod, I'm alittle surprised bend support brackets aren't made for 45° bends, they'd be helpful.
    The manifold is staying as is - I'm too far in to change it now and I bought the actuators.
  • Intplm.
    @john p_2 . Have you seen that there are pex 45's being offered as a fitting now. I'm not sure what manufacturers. Looks like your pex might be uponor? Maybe check them out?
  • john p_2
    Is this going to leak? I thought it pushed all the way onto the Pex fitting but it didnt. I would hate to have to cut it out because it's in a very tight spot . Hoping I can put an air test through the manifold and all my baseboard to check all joints, both Pex and soldered.
  • Intplm.
    That's about the largest gap I have seen, and not the first time I have seen it. What I have come across like your pictured fitting has not leaked.
    Provided the collar and pipe are evenly distributed on the fitting you shouldn't have a problem.
    If you are uncomfortable with the look of that joint, ( and it looks like the one behind it too ). Re-do them both. Depends on your comfort level and experience with this type of pex tubing.
    Its Uponor pex. Very good tubing.
  • john p_2
    No previous experience with Pex. What about putting an air test on all the baseboard loops?
  • Intplm.
    That's fine. Do a air test. Be sure to isolate the system from the components.

But here's a thought. Give it a water test. Fill the system and see if it leaks. Do it slowly and in stages. One zone at a time.
  • john p_2
    I was under the impression I could test right thru the manifold, that's incorrect?
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes Member Posts: 3,976
    edited October 2019
    Those connections look fine. I've done the same thing and they have held. Just so long as the fitting barbs are engaged in the PEX.

Very pretty work! Looks like you could use some more horizontal work surfaces. : ) Hard to find, I'm sure in a crowded mechanical room. We have a couple of utility carts on wheels and even then, it's not enough.

I like the tekmar control at 45°. Makes it easier to use and see the display. Nice touch!
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • john p_2
    Thanks Alan, I pushed them on as hard as I could, each on seems alittle different. How about air testing thru the manifold ?