Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler temperature low, aquastat only has upper limit. How do I get some heat going?

Options
ChillyPerson
ChillyPerson Member Posts: 1
edited October 2019 in Domestic Hot Water
Hello! I recently started renting in an older house. Temperatures are starting to drop for the first time, and none of the radiators are heating up. I did some reading and took a look at the boiler in the basement, and saw that the water temperature is only around 85*. Turning up the thermostat in the house has no effect.

I thought that adjusting the low limit on the aquastat relay would solve the issue- I'm thinking it was turned down for the summer to save on costs, and now I'll just need to turn it back up to a recommended amount (120?). Looking at the aquastat though, it looks like it only has a single dial for the high limit, set to 180*. Should I be looking around for another place to set a low limit? Or am I barking up the wrong tree entirely, and something else is to blame?

Please let me know if you have any insights!

Comments

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,835
    Options
    Are the switch(es) and circuit breaker on?
    More info is needed. Make and model of boiler. Oil, gas? Maybe post some pics of the overall system.
    The one temperature setting is because it's a high limit with a fixed or adjustable differential. And that's probably not the issue anyway.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    Some pictures would help.
    Is this a hotwater baseboard system with conventional boiler? Lowering the boiler temp can cause condensate damage so be careful with that. Most heat systems are just controlled by t-stat. Turn the t-stats up and the heat comes on. Was yours turned off for the summer?
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    Maybe it needs water/bleeding/purging, or has a mechanical issue.
    Why isn’t your landlord involved.
    steve