Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Burner flame goes out

jgodina
jgodina Member Posts: 7
My self ingniting gas furnace burner flames goes out when I put back on the flame inspection cover.it worked well for the past month.it wouldn't ingnite,so I took the cover off .it ran great,put the cover on,and the flames goes out.any ideas?thanks

Comments

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    Some more info is needed. Make and model of the furnace. Post some pics. Not too close. Get one of the whole furnace.
  • HVACNUT
    Saw your comment on another post. Sealed combustion? I'd say the combustion air inlet pipe is restricted.
    rick in Alaska
  • jgodina
    It's a Bryant furnace.i took off a hose that came from a round thing on the left side of the blower.that hose went to the inlet valve on the combustion box.put the flame cover back on,and it ran good.i put the hose back on the burners stopped.so I used compressed air and blew out the 3 black hoses.turned on the furnace and left the flame inspection cover on.it ran,put the hose back on the inlet valve that goes to the combustion box and it still ran.its been running like normal since.could have been a piece of junk in the small vaccum? Hose.i was ready to take the ignititer rod and flame sensors off.I'll let it run for a few weeks and let all of you know how's it going.i will post pictures as soon as I can figure it out.thanks for all the help.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    That round thing is most likely a pressure switch and very sensitive. Hopefully you did not hit with high air pressure.
    It is a safety switch to shut down the burner if you have blocked air inlet or exhaust. You should check those pipes. IMO
  • jgodina
    Everything is working fine.air and exhaust inlets are not blocked.thanks.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    Could have been a clogged hose. However, that round thing is, as @JUGHNE says, one of the primary safety devices on the furnace. If there is even a chance that high pressure air -- anything over a few psi -- got to it, you must check -- or have it checked -- for your safety. Just because the inlet and outlet aren't blocked now doesn't mean they can't become so without your noticing.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    JUGHNE
  • jgodina
    Thanks.i just took off the hoses and blew them out.but I'm going to talk to the heating guys and ask if I take that pressure sensor off and bring it in,could they test it.what do they cost? Just a ballpark figure.thanks
  • HVACNUT
    They can be checked with a manometer and an ohmmeter.
    Inches wc hg should be stamped on the housing.
  • jgodina
    Hvacnut.thanks but that's way out of my league.i'll talk to the heating guys that tuned it up.if they tell me I can take off and bring it in,fine.otherwise I'll have them come over to check it out.thanks again.the furnace is still kicking out heat as I post this.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    Could be a bad HX.
    jgodina