Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Repeated "Clicking" at start up

So I have an older oil burning furnace. When the thermostat calls for heat the furnace seems to work as it should, with and initial “click” and the fuel oil is ignited and we are off to the races. Occasionally and becoming more frequent, the “clicking” continues and the heating process sputters and sometimes shuts down.

To those of you in the know does this sound like a transformer or primary control issue? Or could a faulty cad cell cause the same issue?

I have a short video of the furnace, just need to figure out if I can add it to the post.

JJ

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Probably just needs to be serviced-proper cleaning, usual parts changed then a full and complete combustion test.
    During the process the competent tech should check all wiring, the transformer/ignitor, primary control and burner motor.
    steve
  • JJcanadianguy
    JJcanadianguy Member Posts: 6
    the unfortunate part of this situation is that the furnace is installed in my cabin 250ish miles from the closest town. would cost me a fortune to get someone out there.
  • STEVEusaPA
    edited October 2019
    And if you dont?....
    How do you get heating oil delivered?
    steve
  • JJcanadianguy
    Only gets used a few times a year. Early spring and now in the fall a few times. I haul fuel in Gerry cans. I only use a few gallons a year.
  • STEVEusaPA
    edited October 2019
    Does anyone else near you have an oil burner? Maybe you can get a tech to make a trip and do a couple.
    Second best might be to learn how to fix it yourself. At least the basics.
    Don’t know much about your situation, but maybe you offer your cabin for the week/weekend to the tech. Let them fix it, stay overnight, or for the week. Or for a week to be determined later.
    For only a few times, I’d try something more portable.
    steve
  • JJcanadianguy
    I have no concerns or apprehensions about making a repair myself. Or learning how to do things on the furnace. I can replace either the transformer or the primary controller myself. I tested the transformer as videos show and it gives me a good 3/4 yo an inches spark. Which makes me think it’s the controller. Just looking for more positive confirmation.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,161
    I doubt that it's the controller. I expect that it is simply a matter of time having taken its toll on the burner and just needing a tuneup -- just like an old jalopy. But it will need that.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    Does the burner have a Beckett A/C Ready Kit with low volt terminals to the right of the primary?
    Cam you post a pic?
  • JJcanadianguy
    This is what I’m working with.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,161
    Please don't throw parts at this -- except the ones that do need to be replaced during service. Granted, that's an old puppy, but before you consider parts, get it serviced properly. As I said before. It almost certainly needs new electrodes, which have to be properly adjusted, and a new nozzle. Likely a new filter on the tank, too. Then someone needs to get all the adjustments correct. That's not hard, but it's almost impossible to do by eye -- but isn't hard for someone with the right equipment and training.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Docfletcher
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    My first stab in the dark would be burned and pitted contacts in the primary.
    Is that a down flow furnace?
    Burning Kero?
    Scorch marks at the burner flange. No Firomatic valve. Is that tephlon tape on the nozzle line adapter?
    I can't tell but it looks like an old Carlin 100 CRD.
    Like the other guys stated, you seriously need a competent Pro to check and service the whole furnace. I would assume remove the fan wheels from the burner and blower motors and throughly clean the vanes as well. It looks neglected and needs some good lovin'. Or haul it to the curb and go ductless.
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    That is a very old Coleman furnace, and you should think very hard about replacing it. There is a very good chance the firebox gaskets are leaking and it could also have a cracked heat exchanger. I don't know how your cabin layout is, but you might want to just take that furnace out and put in a toyo heater. They are pretty simple and easily installed. The only problem is they are built for #1 fuel oil.
    But if you don't, I am pretty sure your control, which looks original to the furnace, is shot.
    Rick
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Have you checked the air filter maybe limit switch being jumpy.