Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Should a central AC be run periodically?

Options
Jakek
Jakek Member Posts: 55
I'm not really one for A/C but my house has two entirely separate zones of it, one for each floor. I've used one of the zones for about 15 hours total this summer and not turned on the other zone at all. That said, they are fairly new installs (about 4 years old, put in by the previous owner) and I'd like to keep them operable.

So with that said, is there a reason to run a zone periodically? Is there annual service which should be done to a system which isn't used or only used very infrequently?

Comments

• unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Options
    Would not hurt to run them now and again for a hour or so. Most A/C don't run for 6 months of the year anyway. Even if you dont use it take the air filters out and spray them with what ever you dust with to keep them able to collect dirt when you do run it.
  • mikeg2015
    mikeg2015 Member Posts: 1,194
    Options
    It’s a sealed system, so the compressor won’t really care.

But the fan and blower bearings would benefore from being run for a little bit a couple times a year for maybe 5-10 minutes.

Biggest issue I see a lot is rodents getting in the outdoor unit control panel. Inevitably they touch something live like a capacitor terminals or the contactor and get electrocuted. Or worse, they piss all over a control board and fry it.

You can use cork tape ot seal up any small gaps. I think they can fit through a hold the size of a dime.

Next issue can be moisture accumulating in ductwork if it’s an attic installation and not run at all during the winter when it’s cold in the attic and humid in the indoors from cooking, showers etc.