Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Equalizer/Hartford Loop Size vs Wet Return Size

krisnet55
krisnet55 Member Posts: 13
Im a bit confused here on sizing of the equalizer/hartford loop.
My boiler manual calls for an equalizer/hartford loop size of 1 1/2 inch. However my return line is 1 1/4.
I planning on doing the equalizer in 2' and not sure if:
A: Do the hartford loop in 1 1/4 and then connect it to the return line
or
B: Do the hartford loop in 1 1/2 and then at the lower 90 put a reducing elbow to 1 1/4 to then connect at the wet return

Comments

• krisnet55

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,517
    It's not that critical.
    I would do an 1 1/2" equalizer with your tee to the Hartford loop & return could be a 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 x 1 1/4 tee. That is minimum and will work without any issue at all. If you want to upsize anything that's fine. Will not make any difference whatsoever
    krisnet55Bill_Kitsch69
  • krisnet55
    So I can do a 2' equalizer then a 2x2x1 1/4 tee in to hartford loop?
  • Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,424
    Correct @krisnet55, those arrows are never actually pointing to the Hartford loop connection, but rather the equalizer as it connects back to the boiler.
    krisnet55
  • Marc_J
    Marc_J Member Posts: 14
    edited September 2019
    Just stumbled upon this thread. Confirming - drop down from equalizer, Hartford loop and wet return don't want to be the same size? My system has a 1-1/2 x 1-1/2 x 1-1/4" T before the close nipple and 1-1/4" for the rest of the loop and around to wet return. Dry return is 2", reduces to 1-1/4" at an elbow at the end of the line and drops down about 40". In peak season, condensate doesn't return quickly enough and causes occasional LWC activation. One tech theorized that the upsizing the 1-1/4" pieces to 1-1/2" could alleviate the problem. Thoughts?
    Pics attached.

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,275
    Well... inch and a quarter is a little small, but considering the low rate of flow of condensate that's not likely to be the problem. On the other hand... what pressure do you have for the cutout?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Bill_Kitsch69
    Bill_Kitsch69 Member Posts: 48
    edited September 2019
    If you are cutting out just waiting for return a bit once in a while, fine. Most likely increasing the return drop from the dry returns, and the loop piping will not speed things up. If you are not slowly overfeeding the boiler after several cycles, or a day or 5, fuggettaboutit. What is your return time? 20-30 minutes after you start to steam I would not worry about in the least.