Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Liquid to gas heat ex-changer

gaabbee
gaabbee Member Posts: 43
So I have been interested in getting an air to water heat pump but can only seem to find really expensive 4 or 5 ton units. My idea is to pick up a smaller heat pump and run it through a separate liquid to gas heat ex-changer. Is this even possible? What brands or places can you find these heat ex-changers?

What sparked my idea here was seeing how some modern cars are using the ac systems to cool a small heat ex-changer for different purposes. Appreciate your insight and advice!

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,176
    How are you as a mechanical engineer? You will be creating your own toy... and it isn't going to be plug 'n' play.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    Everyone makes lower BTU water source heat pumps.
    You're looking to fabricate your own coax coil?
  • gaabbee
    gaabbee Member Posts: 43
    HVACNUT said:

Everyone makes lower BTU water source heat pumps.

You're looking to fabricate your own coax coil?

Hmm not sure we are talking about the same thing but correct me if I am wrong. You have a radiant system with a buffer tank that can be heated by hot water produced by an outside ac/heat pump. The refrigerant from the heat pump would either warm or cool a heat ex-changer that has water pumped through it.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,176
    I do see what you are trying to do. But -- you will either have to find a unit which produces warm or cooled water, or engineer the entire water side system (heat exchanger, controls, valves, etc.) on your own. It's not just let's hook up a heat exchanger...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England