Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Splitting one zone pump into two zones

Options
Swilson08
Swilson08 Member Posts: 36
Need some engineering and design help from the pros out there.

I have a well-mcclain wtgo-4 without a tankless coil. I have three zone pumps. One for a well-mcclain Indirect and two pumps for heating. I have a 2800 square foot split level ranch style house. With a unheated garage. All three taco 007-f5 pumps are controlled by the taco 503 box.

Zone 1 is 74 feet of baseboard and the pipe loop is 125 feet of 3/4 copper with a taco 007-f5 pump

Zone 2 is 52 feet of baseboard and the pipe loop is 90 feet of 3/4 copper through a concrete slab. With a taco 007-f5 pump

Zone 3 is the 29 gallon indirect with 18feet of 1 inch copper. With a taco 007-f5 pump.

Zone 1 is the longest loop and does three bedrooms, the bathroom, the living room the dinning room and the front entrance.

I have access to split this loop into two loops. The question is what would be the best way to do this.

I have come up with a few options that I thought would work.

Option one would be to disconnect the last pump on the manifold and add a tee and add a fourth pump to the manifold.

Option two would be to add 2 zone valve's to zone 1 pump and wire a new controller up to work with that setup.

Option three would be two remove the two heating pumps and install a pump with zone valve's for the heating zones and leave the other pump just for the indirect.

Option 4 would be to remove all three pumps. Install on pump and zone valve's with a new controller for the three heating zones and the indirect water heater.

If you have any other ideas I will gladly appreciate it. Just trying to do this right the first time.

Not sure if I would need a bypass for any of those setups as I don't currently have one. The plumbing and electrical is not a problem but the design, engineering and experience from the people that do it every day would be awesome. My end goal would be to eventually have each bedroom on it's own zone but that probably won't happen for a long time.

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    More info is needed.
    What type of radiation do you have?
    How is it piped? Series loops? Direct return? Monoflo?

Please realize that the more zones that you add, the more you're gonna short cycle the boiler and reduce its life expectancy.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Swilson08
    Swilson08 Member Posts: 36
    Options
    @Ironman the heating zones are baseboard heat 3/4 copper pipe with aluminum fins. 1972 era.

The heatings zones are one complete loop from supply to return.

Zone one is one complete loop for 2nd floor.
    Zone 2 is one complete loop for first floor
    Zone 3 is one complete loop for indirect

They have a common supply and return manifold at the boiler

Zone 1 is 74 feet of baseboard and the pipe loop is 125 feet of 3/4 copper with a taco 007-f5 pump

Zone 2 is 52 feet of baseboard and the pipe loop is 90 feet of 3/4 copper through a concrete slab. With a taco 007-f5 pump

Zone 3 is the 29 gallon indirect with 18feet of 1 inch copper. With a taco 007-f5 pump.