Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Help with options - toe kick heater or bigger baseboard?

fiddlermd
fiddlermd Member Posts: 59
I currently have a mudroom that's about 10x10. It's on slab in between the main house and garage so gets very cold in the winter. Currently there's about 10' total of baseboard there going around a corner. Standard contractor grade slantfin stuff.
I plan on putting in a close on one of the walls so the baseboard is in the way on one side. Obviously this will get in the way of the closet so my option is either to remove part of the baseboard and use only the section under the window and upgrading the baseboard to something more powerful or installing a toekick unit.
I don't know much about these short of the fact that they exist and that I can run it in my existing system.
Any advice greatly appreciated.
thanks!

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,276
    I'd seriously consider adding panel radiators on the wall, in parallel with the remaining baseboard. It really depends on how much heat you need in there, but I expect panel radiators would do the job better.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • bob eck
    bob eck Member Posts: 930
    Ecostyle steel wall panel radiators are great.
    Check them out at www.ecostyle.us

Or Heating Edge HE2 or HE3

I would use the Ecostyle units.
  • fiddlermd
    Are there radiators that look a bit more sleek? And as far as heating edge, how do they compare to slantfin in terms of BTUs? For instance, would a 5' he2 provide as much heat as a 10' slantfin?
    What about runtal?
  • bob eck
    Depends how you pipe the HE2 plus what water temp goes through the copper baseboard. Runtal is a good product but the Ecostyle steel wall radiator is at a very very good price point and is a great product for the price.
    Where are you located at?
  • fiddlermd
    I'm in North NJ. Currently the baseboard there is part of a loop so the water starts at one end and exits the other. Since other baseboards are on the same loop, I can't change temperature of the water
  • fiddlermd

Here's the loop as it is now. I am not certain whether it starts in the mudroom or the bathroom. The angle baseboard in the mudroom is where I'd like the change. Remove one section and replace the other with something that'll put out more heat. The space I'll have left over is about 4'6" total and it has to fit under a window which is about 24" off the floor.
  • If those baseboards are piped in a serial loop, can you raise the temperature of the water, while also installing thermostatic radiator valves on the other radiators in the loop?
    That way you could limit the output of the other rads, and increase the mud room output.—NBC
  • fiddlermd

If those baseboards are piped in a serial loop, can you raise the temperature of the water, while also installing thermostatic radiator valves on the other radiators in the loop?
    That way you could limit the output of the other rads, and increase the mud room output.—NBC

that would be way too much work for this project. I don't want to solder more than I need to.. plus i have 7 other zones and theres' a buffer tank so I can't really alter temperatures that much to only one loop
  • If those radiators are definitely piped in a serial loop, then making sure the mud room gets the hot water first would make sure that was the hottest radiator in the loop.
    If that zone had been piped parallel return, then I imagine you could adjust the inlet valves to give more or less hot water to each radiator.—NBC
  • fiddlermd
    It's serial. Mostly I'm looking for "what's gonna give me the best chance of same or more heat from a 4' unit that I'm currently getting from about 9' of slant fin"
  • Jamie Hall
    fiddlermd said:

It's serial. Mostly I'm looking for "what's gonna give me the best chance of same or more heat from a 4' unit that I'm currently getting from about 9' of slant fin"

If it's serial, you can't use TRVs -- since if any one closes, the whole loop will shut down. I'll go back to what I suggested earlier -- a nice panel radiator, just hooked into the serial loop -- in series.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • fiddlermd
    There are no valves on any of the other baseboards so I'm not sure what you mean. but what kind of radiator would put out as much heat in 4' as about 9-10' of baseboard?
  • Canucker
    Canucker Member Posts: 722
    Something this size would likely work
    You can have it good, fast or cheap. Pick two
  • fiddlermd
    funny but no .. need something that doesnt look like it came from the 1920's
  • Jamie Hall
    Figure out how much heat you really need, and then go here:
    https://runtalnorthamerica.com/residential_radiators/wallpanel-vlx-radiators.html
    and pick your panel.
    Br. Jamie, osb
  • fiddlermd
    Yeah I'm familiar with runtal - i'm curious how the others recommended above compare (at least on heat per foot.. style is a non-starter)
  • bob eck
    Look at Ecostyle steel wall panel radiator.
    Great unit competitive pricing.
    www.ecostyle.us
    F W. Webb sells them. Have your heating contractor call them.
    Stores in NJ