Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How do I connect my header to the main steam lines correctly?

I am replacing my old Weil McLain LGB-7 steam boiler with an LGB-6 and am not sure how to properly connect the header to the main steam lines. The Weil McLain manual says to use one 4 inch riser to the header with a 2 inch equalizer. I have a 3 inch main running to the front of the building and a 3 inch main running to the rear of the building. Do the take-offs from the header need to be the same diameter as the main lines? For example, would 2.5 inch take-offs which run to the 3 inch mains be appropriate or do the take-offs need to be 3 inch diameter as well? There used to be one 4 inch take-off that went into a "T", but I am putting 2 take-offs in the new header system to avoid slamming the steam into a "T". Is this a good idea? Is it correct for me to have 2 separate take-offs from the header, one for the front of the building and one for the rear of the building? What should the slope of the take-offs have? I have a wet return system. Should the pipes running from the header slope downwards, upwards, or be level? There is a steel beam running through the room which interferes with the height at which we can run the take-offs from the header. Is it better to pipe over the beam, through the beam, or under the beam? If we pipe under the beam and have to run our pipe down and then back up, is it appropriate to use a trap to drain the water?

Comments

• SeanBeans
    SeanBeans Member Posts: 520
    Show some pictures from a few feet back with several angles and we can help you more effectively
  • SeanBeans
    SeanBeans Member Posts: 520
    Odds are your mains start high in the boiler room and pitch away from the boiler and eventually drop into a wet return. I would also take off 3” for each steam main from the header
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    The takeoffs from the header need to be 3" if the mains are 3". The equalizer needs to be 2" if that's what Weil specs.

You need a 4" riser, 4" header 2 separate 3" take offs and then the 2" equalizer ....in that order. The takeoffs and supply mains should be high at the boiler and pitch down hill in the direction of flow.

If you can go over the steal beam do that. I wouldn't go through it. If you have to go under report back. Therre are ways around it.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    Never go through a steel beam! It's probably there for a reason -- like holding up the house -- and putting a hole in it just isn't a good idea without a thorough analysis of the loads.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • johnmusgrave
    johnmusgrave Member Posts: 4
    Why is it better to run a 3 inch take-off from the header than a 2.5 inch take-off? How high should a take-off rise before it makes the 90 degree turn?