Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

MSZ-GE18NA control board upgrade

plandis
plandis Member Posts: 6
I have a MSZ-GE18NA which is not compatible with the PAC-US444CN-1 Thermostat Interface. The MSZ-GE18NA-8 is compatible. My question is can I replace the MSZ-GE18NA control board with a MSZ-GE18NA-8 control board? This will allow me to use the PAC-US444CN-1 Thermostat Interface.

Comments

• ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,616
    That would be a call to tech support, I'm thinking, for a definitive answer (unless someone here has actually done it). That said, I've heard from our Mitsubishi salescritter that electronics will only go one generation in either direction.
  • plandis
    Thanks ratio. I called Mitsubishi tech support which has been super helpful. The control board on the MSZ-GE18NU is first generation and cannot be upgraded to the MSZ-GE18NU-8 because the whole unit is different and would be completely be incompatible. I can’t just upgrade the unit because my outdoor which is a MXZ-4B36NA is not compatible with the newer wall units. I would essentially have to upgrade the wall unit and the outdoor unit together which is not economical at the current moment. It is best to wait until the unit goes and then replace both. I already got 10 years use so when the time happens when I need a replacement, that’s when I’ll replace it.
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,616
    That's about our story too, except we got to give the customer a new outdoor unit for free because our guesstimator didn't bother to check & see if the new indoor unit we sold them would work with their old condenser.
  • JoeyG_2
    JoeyG_2 Member Posts: 14
    Are you just looking to mount a remote t-stat somewhere in the room? Are you looking for a Wi-Fi option? If that's all you need to do, you should try the Honeywell Ductless Controller DC6000WF1001 . Check it out!! I use one @ my house. Not to dumb it down, but it is just an infared remote controller with Wi-Fi connectivity. You can use the Honeywell Home App on you phone to adjust.

If you're looking to do staging of equipment and stuff, it may not be for you.

Any Q's, just ask.

Have Fun!!!

-Joey G.
    Joey G
  • plandis
    edited September 2019
    So there was no real solution to integrate with a nest thermostat with the Mitsubishi wall unit due to being first generation but what I was able to do is purchase the Switchbot device which allows me to remotely control the unit. So I was able to integrate the same functionality using IFTTT protocol so when the Nest thermostat reaches a certain temperature it triggers an event to turn on the Switch ac wall unit. This essentially integrates the nest with any old legacy Mitsubishi unit. So cool with the options that are out there. Here’s Switchbot link

SwitchBot Hub Plus, Smart IR Remote Control for Air Conditioner, Smart Home, Link SwitchBot to Wi-Fi, Compatible with Alexa Google Home Siri IFTTT https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DL6M8PZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_A2xBDb6E24QYF