Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

"I won't do a PEX job"

Options
woobagooba
woobagooba Member Posts: 186
"My subs quote PEX and Copper at the same price". So says a general contractor candidate (who does top quality work) for a 3000 square foot reno that will essentially involve replacement of all the hot, cold, and hydronic heat piping. Plumbing gods, what say you? Thanks

Comments

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,833
    Options
    Material cost maybe? I haven't a clue since it's not my forte.
    I know the labor should be quicker for the most part, thereby lowering cost somewhat.
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,692
    Options
    Last time I plumbed a house it was my own in ‘12, before that probably another 8 or so years, but that doesn’t make sense, copper and Pex the same price?
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Canucker
    Canucker Member Posts: 722
    Options
    Is it possible they use the same layout and fittings they would use with copper? I see that a lot. Lots of elbows where the piping could have been bent 90 deg instead. Kind of defeats some of the advantages to PEX if you install it the exact same way as copper, doesn't it?
    You can have it good, fast or cheap. Pick two
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,291
    Options
    Hello, PEX takes roughly one fourth the labor to install versus copper. Have a look at www.garykleinassociates.com , writings, to get some ideas on efficient plumbing, that can save even more money.

Yours, Larry
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    I think your GC candidate has a strong bias towards copper. I seriously doubt his subs charge the same for pex. Me thinks he is making it up so you will use copper.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    CanuckerGroundUp