Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Need some help... what size are my Oil tanks?

jamoka3
jamoka3 Member Posts: 3
New to the heating oil scene, just bought a house in July and need to fill the heating oil tanks. Cant seem to find a capacity anywhere on the tank. I did find a manufacture High land Tanks. MH 7573, 12 gauge but an online search came up with nothing...
Any help would he appreciated.

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    Most likely the tanks are 275 gallons each. Measurements are 27" x 5' x 44". They could be 330 gallon tanks, if so the dimensions of height and width are the same and the length becomes 72"

275s when filled usually hold about 210-230 between full and run out. This is because an air space is left for oil expansion and contraction.

Good practice is not to let the tanks get much below about 1/4 full
    jamoka3
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    edited August 2019
    Despite the nice paint job, those are very old tanks.
    Also between the tanks the oil line has a tee. Where is that other oil line going?
    steve
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    @STEVEusaPA
    tee is the supply to the oil filter, loops around under the oil tank and back to the filter. Also, what make you think the tanks are old??
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506

@STEVEusaPA
    tee is the supply to the oil filter, loops around under the oil tank and back to the filter. Also, what make you think the tanks are old??

Ahh I see it now.
    Old? The lip (end weld) on the oil tanks, and only 3 bungs, indicative of tanks made up until the mid 70's (I think). At least around here.
    steve
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    @STEVEusaPA , Got it

When I first saw your post about an "xtra tee" I got all excited thinking it was a two piper, LOL
    STEVEusaPA