Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.

If you've found help here, check back in to let us know how everything worked out.
It's a great way to thank those who helped you.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

Need some help... what size are my Oil tanks?

jamoka3jamoka3 Posts: 3Member
New to the heating oil scene, just bought a house in July and need to fill the heating oil tanks. Cant seem to find a capacity anywhere on the tank. I did find a manufacture High land Tanks. MH 7573, 12 gauge but an online search came up with nothing...
Any help would he appreciated.

Comments

• EBEBRATT-EdEBEBRATT-Ed Posts: 5,948Member
    Most likely the tanks are 275 gallons each. Measurements are 27" x 5' x 44". They could be 330 gallon tanks, if so the dimensions of height and width are the same and the length becomes 72"

275s when filled usually hold about 210-230 between full and run out. This is because an air space is left for oil expansion and contraction.

Good practice is not to let the tanks get much below about 1/4 full
  • STEVEusaPASTEVEusaPA Posts: 3,145Member
    edited August 7
    Despite the nice paint job, those are very old tanks.
    Also between the tanks the oil line has a tee. Where is that other oil line going?
    steve
    @STEVEusaPA
    tee is the supply to the oil filter, loops around under the oil tank and back to the filter. Also, what make you think the tanks are old??
  • STEVEusaPASTEVEusaPA Posts: 3,145Member

@STEVEusaPA
    tee is the supply to the oil filter, loops around under the oil tank and back to the filter. Also, what make you think the tanks are old??

Ahh I see it now.
    Old? The lip (end weld) on the oil tanks, and only 3 bungs, indicative of tanks made up until the mid 70's (I think). At least around here.
    steve
    @STEVEusaPA , Got it

When I first saw your post about an "xtra tee" I got all excited thinking it was a two piper, LOL
  • ronron Posts: 137Member
    jamoka3 said:

New to the heating oil scene... Any help would he appreciated.

those are vertical 275 gallon tanks.
    tanks of that shape are either 275gal or 330 gal. Like said the 330gal are just longer. You can look at and/or buy those 275 tanks many places, including home depot or lowes. And you can get them as horizontal.

if you are unfamiliar with oil heat, it is #2 fuel oil (diesel). while the outside paint job is nice, those tanks are bare steel inside and can rust from inside out if they get water in them. There is typically water (condensation/moisture) in the tanks but good news is your draw is from the bottom (water sinks in fuel) so there will likely be zero water. Ideally the tanks should be pitched slightly so all water makes its way out the draw pipe. Considering possible pitch to the floor and what looks like even tank legs, use a level and see if the tank is at all pitched opposite from the draw side; if so then you would have water at the lowest spot that would never drain out which is bad

my single 275 I had to replace, because draw was from the top, had algae/microbe problem (black goo and bad smell inside) and whoever plumbed my draw line was > 12" off bottom so at 1/4 tank my burner would quit.

bit of advice learn to change your filter yourself and monitor it to know what's going on. you might also consider using something like biobor jr biocide for diesel fuel as preventative maintenance. Keeping a clean tank and fuel is cheaper than emergency burner service in winter.

275: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Vertical-275-Gal-Oil-Tank-275VOT/300636041

330: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Vertical-330-Gal-Black-Oil-Tank-330OT/203193182