Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Wiring Taco zone valves and circs

BillAllen
BillAllen Member Posts: 103
I have 5 zones of HW. 2 zones have zone valves the other 3 zones are circs. The ZVC control board will only connect zone valves and the one circ used in connection to the ZV's. The other 3 zones looks like I need a separate SR-4 for the circs.
I was wondering how I could wire this using one board. Does the Taco make a board that incorporates Zone valves and circs together without having to buy 2 control boards?

Comments

• Good question, but none that I know of including other brands.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    The SR506 will work. Use one zone for the zone valves. End switches to RW on the zone board.
  • Is there a separate pump for the zone valves?
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • BillAllen
    Yes separate pump that carries 2 ZV. I have a ZVC on my truck but now it looks like I need to buy an SR506 too! Unless I'm missing something.
  • BillAllen
    Taco said I could do it with a SR506.
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    edited July 2019
    You could do it with an SR506 but you would just connect the zone valve end switches to one of the TT terminals on the board, banging on that particular pump.
    Steve Minnich
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    Tap tap. Is this thing on?
    STEVEusaPATinman
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    HVACNUT said:

Tap tap. Is this thing on?

Feeling invisible?
    Actually sometimes I'm the first to reply to a question, then when I come back to the thread I notice I’m about 4th and the timestamp is incorrect. Maybe your response wasn’t up when the others responded.

steve
    HVACNUT
  • BillAllen
    Maybe
  • Joe Mattiello
    Joe Mattiello Member Posts: 704
    if your applications is for 3 zones with circulators, and 1 zone with two zone valves and corresponding circulator, you can use the SR504-4, or if you want to have extra capacity for future use, the sr506 would work great.
    follow typical wiring instructions for circulators on zones 1 through 3, and wire the zone valves to an external 24v, 40VA transformer to power 2 valves following typical wiring instructions found in ZV instruction sheet. Parallel terminals 2, and 3 on valves so when either valves have a demand from thermostat the valve end switches wired to zone 4 R&W on SR504/506 will energize corresponding pump, and fire boiler.
    Hopefully this was helpful. that's the cleanest approach, easy to dianose if there is any issues, and least expensive option using one control, and a 40VA external transformer for the valves.
    Joe Mattiello
    N. E. Regional Manger, Commercial Products
    Taco Comfort Solutions
    Steve Thompson (Taco)
  • BillAllen
    Thanks Joe. The 2 zone valves are in another room in the ceiling where there is wiring and a transformer there. Form all the speghetti low voltage wiring there the end switches do come all the way back to where the new boiler will be that I am installing. So I assume that these 2 end switches carry both ZV's thus connect these 2 wires to 1 and 2 on the Sr506?? Is that correct?