Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Infloor Manifold Leaking

Dan Foley
Dan Foley Member Posts: 1,258
I was called to repair this leaking Infloor plastic manifold with Poly B tubing. This system is approximately 25 years old. Replacement manifolds and repair parts are no longer available.

Comments

• Dan Foley
    Dan Foley Member Posts: 1,258
    I replaced the manifold with a stainless steel manifold. I spliced in 3/8 Pex to the Poly B with special brass adapter fittings and crimp rings.

Thanks to Jan at Mr. Pex for tracking down all the components I needed to complete this repair.
  • Always difficult to replace those Infloor manifolds. They are very compact and any replacement will take up more room than what's there.

As those o-rings start failing, we'll see more and more calls for replacement. I'd like to know if there are manifolds that take up less room.

Worse yet is replacing an Infloor mixing station with isolation valves.

8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,366
    Nice job on getting that manifold replaced.

Are the gonna have you clean up the other stuff that's leaking?
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    CanuckerDan Foley
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,018
    Pb X pex adapters are still available. Some come with the two rings. Pex rings are usually black color, PB copper, sometimes with PB stamped on them. Same crimp tool works with the rings.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Dan Foley
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,425
    edited July 2019
    Had a job replacing InFloor manifolds with their lines. I always thought--Piece of Junk and never use it even tho I have a tail light warranty on all my work.

I replaced this plastic crap with Caleffi mixing station. However, there was a problem. The gray tube was a size that the Caleffi adapter was not in its range because of the o-rings on the adapter. I measured the gray tube with a dial caliper and ordered new o-rings from O-rings USA to make the tube fit the adapter. WaLa!
    Worked perfectly. That was years ago and NO LEAKS as of a month ago. I hate call backs!

Yes, Alan. The mixing station takes more room and instead of tearing into a bearing walls to make a larger space, I had to separate the pumps from the manifolds (3 mixing stations on 3 floors) and locate the pumps in another part of the house. Worked tho. Keeps the house at a comfortable 55 degrees.
    Dan Foley
  • HomerJSmith
    That's a joke!
  • HomerJSmith
    I got to thinking which is a rarity for me. A single ECM pump at a distant location with manifolds plus Taco sentry zone valves would have compacted the space requirements. The low voltage wiring is already there to control the zone valves. Hmmm
    Dan Foley