Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Taco 255-2 flanges not compatible with 0015E circulators?

Peter1
Peter1 Member Posts: 6
Picked up some sets of 255 flanges (supposedly compatible with all 00 series circulators) but I don't see how they will work? Taco wants their o'rings used with the 0015E, but they do not provide any viable seal when used with the 255-2 flanges? same for the flat washers that are supplied with the 255-2 flanges. They do not mate with any flat surface areas to provide what appears to be a decent seal? Are the 0015E circulators different from the earlier legacy 00 series?

Pete

Comments

• Peter1
    Figured it out. Taco says to use their flat o'ring on the pump surface, and then use the flat rubber washer between that and the swivel flange face. Two washers on each end. Never seen that needed before.
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,889
    edited July 2019
    You're going to have leaks if you double them up, almost guaranteed. I'd just use the full face gasket that came with the flanges, it'll seal against the circ
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,882
    I agree with @GroundUp
    You should be using something like this type of gasket.
    A full face gasket is your best option.
  • Peter1
    I found an instruction sheet for the 255-2 flanges and it states "Note: when installing the shut-off flange onto a Taco 00 circulator use both the enclosed flat gasket and the circulator flange gasket (included with the circulator}. Taco, Inc. 001-1009
    Are the Taco instructions in error? I have contacted Taco and I am awaiting a response due to the confusion.
  • Joe Mattiello
    Joe Mattiello Member Posts: 704
    I’m a little fuzzy on the old 255 shut-off flanges. Taco, discontinued them about 15 years ago. Generally speaking the current 00 series casings have had excess material removed from the flange sealing area for weight and cost reduction. Engineering determined it was not necessary to seal against our companion flanges. However, it created less sealing surface area for the old 254-256 series bronze , swivel style shut-off flanges, as well as the current Grundfos swivel style shut-off flanges, etc.
    The ID of our gasket area is larger than the OD of the companion flange surface, so there’s not enough surface area to seal against. During my 15 + years in Tech support I have seen the o-ring and flat gasket used to seal the flange but its never a good idea to mate two compressible gaskets together; chances of leaks are fairly high. Do not recommend

Taco currently offers the new SFL series shut-off flanges which has a larger OD sealing surface that mates to our casing flange much better. I recommend using these as opposed to 255 flanges.
    Hopefully this was helpful, and if you have any questions or concerns please reach out to Taco tech support directly at 401-942-8000. You can always call me too!!
    Joe Mattiello
    N. E. Regional Manger, Commercial Products
    Taco Comfort Solutions
    Steve Thompson (Taco)Peter1Zman
  • Peter1
    Well, I don't like the directions that suggest using stacked gaskets myself... the problem remains: who makes a swivel flange that does NOT have cut off valves, that will work with the Taco 00circulators? I already have cutoff ball valves on the system that will isolate the circulators.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
    Why do you need a swivel flange on the one without an isolation valve? Can you just sweat or thread it to the correct orintation?

The swivel is nice on iso-valves so you can move the handle to the best position depending on the circulator and it's position.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Peter1
    Returned the Taco flange valves, controller and five pumps.... going with a different solution from another source.
  • Joe Mattiello
    Joe Mattiello Member Posts: 704
    Peter
    You can call me to discuss further. 401-261-4890.
    Joe Mattiello
    N. E. Regional Manger, Commercial Products
    Taco Comfort Solutions
  • Peter1
    Joe... no problem. Sent back the 255 flanges since I do not want to deal with stacking two different washers on the pumps. Apparently that was done to ease the transition to newer flanges--didn't realize the 255 series was old legacy tech. Going with Taco iron flanges and black iron pipe for the circulators. The project involves replacing Honeywell/Sparco zone valves, which haven't held up well, with new Taco circulators and a Taco 504-EXP-4 controller.
  • radioconnection_2
    radioconnection_2 Member Posts: 70
    Installed the 0015E circulators several month's back... love them! Working fine. Thanks Joe, great product.