Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Integral Twin Stage regualtor vs Two stage

Solid_Fuel_Man
Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
In everyone's experience, why not use Integral twin stage regulators for LP? Most seem to have 500k-750k btu/hr ratings. Other than a tank far from a building.

Have you seen more pressure fluctuations or freeze ups with twin stage? This is for your average 250k btu/hr or less house.
Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    I have only seen these in the catalogs.
    I assumed they would go right on the tank.
    If so, my reasoning for never using them would be the size of gas line from tank to building. (50'-75' or so).

I might have used one to replace the single regulator at the tank on some 1950's set up. They used to put a large single reg and run maybe 1/2" -3/4" OD a long distance to the load. That was asking a lot of range out of a single reg..... winter to summer tank pressures.
    The fact that pilots would go out and you might not cook on the stove when the water heater was firing was just an accepted way of life on the farmstead.....so much better than burning wood.
    The regulator was just another thing to thaw out with hot water in the winter....like an outside hand pump.

Today's appliances would not fare so well with the fluctuations in gas pressure.
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,890
    Here, the LP company always provides the 1st stage reg on the tank and for $40 they will install a 2nd stage on the house and leave it there forever. Even with an owned tank, I don't see the advantage of a combo reg when you can get 2# to the building and drop each appliance to inches with its own reg and not have the nasty fluctuations
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    use them all the time.. set 1 or more 120 gallon tanks on the house and pipe into the building. For larger loads and or fussy systems i will use 1st/2nd stage setups. I dont generally see an increase in freezeups compared to seperate regulators..
    Solid_Fuel_Man