Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How can I tell if I have a gravity fed system?

wcssue
wcssue Member Posts: 2
edited June 2019 in THE MAIN WALL
After reading your extensive information on gravity fed systems on this site, I believe that my heating system was at one point gravity fed but I want to confirm that it has been converted. There are two heating zones and there are two circulator pumps at the boiler, one that feeds into the old piping. I also have a pressurized expansion tank for a closed system in the basement . Based on this information can anyone confirm that it is no longer a gravity system?
I plan to install a hydronic towel rack in the upstairs bathroom and I’ve read that they don’t work with gravity fed systems. Any advice?

Comments

• Mike_Sheppard
    Mike_Sheppard Member Posts: 696
    Sounds possible. Can you take a picture of the boiler and piping and post it?
    Never stop learning.
    wcssue
  • Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,416
    If you have multiple Zones and circulators, it’s not a gravity fed system. Gravity systems operate as their name implies, by gravity. Hot water is lighter than cold water so it rises by gravity above it. Also, they typically had an open expansion tank in the attic. From what you’ve described you have a forced hot water system, not gravity.
    wcssue
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    @Danny Scully,
    Danny, we have on occasion split old 4 pipe gravity boilers into 2 zones when converting them to forced flow. It gives some east/west zoning of the house.

But I agree about the original setup being only one zone.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    wcssue
  • Ironman
    @wcssue,
    If you have old black iron pipes that are larger than 2" in diameter, then it's a good possibility that your system was originally gravity flow.
    Pics would really help.
    Bob Boan
    wcssue
  • Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,416
    edited June 2019
    They’re asking if it could still be gravity @Ironman, not if it was.
    Ironmanwcssue
  • wcssue
    wcssue Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your comments. I think you have confirmed that I now have a forced flow system. Any advice on installing a hydronic towel rack/radiator on this system? This is what I’m planning on installing https://usa.hudsonreed.com/ischia-hydronic-white-heated-towel-warmer-65-x-17-75-67610.
  • Ironman
    Water, like most people, takes the path of least resistance. The problem you're gonna have is that the towel warmer will offer more resistance than the old rad's, and thus get less or no flow.

The only sure way to address this is to run the lines for the warmer back to the boiler and install a dedicated circulator on it. You may get by just adding a circ to the riser going to the warmer, but it's not guaranteed.
    Bob Boan