Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Coconut oil

Grallert
Grallert Member Posts: 644
edited May 2019 in Plumbing
Coconut oil seems very popular these days. How bad is this stuff? I've been fighting it here for a few years now. Solidifies in the pipes and collects everything else that shouldn't be put down a drain. Doesn't snake well unless one's lucky enough to catch another foreign object. Doesn't make it far in our hundred year old cast waste lines. This is just an observation and minor vent here. Nothing I can do about it really until I come up with a tasteful way to mention it to our students and residents. Anyone else finding this an issue?
Miss Hall's School service mechanic, greenhouse manager,teacher and dog walker

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,276
    And not only all that, the production of the stuff is an environmental disaster!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    HVACNUTGrallert
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,121
    How is it getting into drainage systems, as a beverage? lotions? cooking oil?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • nibs
    nibs Member Posts: 511
    Some vet's wife was proclaiming it as a cure for Alzheimers and sundry other ailments. No science behind the claims and I know one lady who was sure it would cure her, so she refused any treatment that may have actually worked.
    She is in a home now and is only 60 yrs old.
    Best place for it is down the drain.
  • hot_rod
    nibs said:

Some vet's wife was proclaiming it as a cure for Alzheimers and sundry other ailments. No science behind the claims and I know one lady who was sure it would cure her, so she refused any treatment that may have actually worked.
    She is in a home now and is only 60 yrs old.
    Best place for it is down the drain.

Nooooo, not down the drain :)

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    CanuckerGrallert
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,289
    Hello, There was a documentary called Awakening From Alzheimer's. In it, a Dr. Mary Newport discussed what a dramatic difference coconut oil made for her husband who had been slipping away with Alzheimer's. Every body is different and there is no panacea for the disease, but coconut oil is one arrow in the quiver for battling Alzheimer's. I'm pretty sure we can all agree that it's not a good idea to put it down the drain!

Yours, Larry
  • Grallert
    hot_rod said:

I thinks folks are using on their bodies, hair skin etc. becomes almost liquid at body temp but freezes up almost immediately at any lower temp. So one would smear it in hair or on skin and wash it off in the shower. Then they send me a work order for slow draining shower or sink.
    Canucker
  • nibs
    @Larry Weingarten
    Larry, so many people die each year world around, from fake woo woo medical claims. Anecdotes are not proof, she is a quack.

Canucker
  • hot_rod
    nibs said:

@Larry Weingarten
    Larry, so many people die each year world around, from fake woo woo medical claims. Anecdotes are not proof, she is a quack.

One person's quack is another messiah :)

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,276
    Grallert said:

hot_rod said:

I thinks folks are using on their bodies, hair skin etc. becomes almost liquid at body temp but freezes up almost immediately at any lower temp. So one would smear it in hair or on skin and wash it off in the shower. Then they send me a work order for slow draining shower or sink.
    But it's so good for the complexion... or hair...(not yours, theirs)
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Grallert
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    It is also excellent for the economy and secondary markets like plumbing, drain openers, laundry detergents, etc. Eliminating coconut oil could wreck our economy and the economies of countries that produce coconuts. Think about it. :o
    Grallert
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,945
    It may not be coconut so much. More the palm oil industry that is bad for drains and the environment at many different levels. ie.Planting, growth, production etc.
  • Grallert

Grallert said:

hot_rod said:

But it's so good for the complexion... or hair...(not yours, theirs)
    laugh lines and lost hair, my stock and trade.
  • nibs
    Can't remember if it helped with my old_timers.