Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Brazing copper LP lines

Options
Solid_Fuel_Man
Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
Is it acceptable to braze copper (opposed to flare) propane lines? This would all be for 10 psi or less.

I believe NFPA states 1,000 degree F connections, which a braze would be. I've never seen it done, but curiosity has me. I suppose if you purge with nitrogen and treated the whole system like refrigeration.

Just for discussion, I'm not actually considering it!
Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!

Comments

• GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,907
    Options
    Will depend on local codes, but here in MN we braze a large percentage of gas lines that are indoors. Always type L and always purged with nitrogen, like refrigeration.
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,520
    Options
    MA allows brazed oil lines but not soldered and the same 1000deg applies. Never seen that done and never seen gas lines brazed but it may be legal
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • Leonard
    Leonard Member Posts: 903
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Sounds easier to carry a lightweight hand flaring tool in than a heavy acetylene tank, even if it is a small "B" tank.

Unless you have metal scrapper BUMS that sheered the line off flush with cement wall,,,,,,,, had that happen with restaurant walkin coolers
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,947
    Options
    It is ok to solder and braze in some parts . But! The thing to do is contact the local building official as they may not allow it in your area.
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • Jellis
    Jellis Member Posts: 228
    Options
    Local code here requires brazing vs flare in enclosed spaces so yes it is "acceptable" but as others stated. check with your local AHJ
    GroundUpSolid_Fuel_Man
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Options
    Thanks all, I would certainly consider a brazed joint superior to any mechanical flare.

Good discussion!
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    Options
    Just curious , I know the reason for refrigeration , carbon contamination from burnt oxygen , buy why nitrogen for a gas line ?
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Options
    I'd think to avoid the flaking inside the pipe from oxidation. Those wouldn't be good for gas valves.
    GroundUp