Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Dry ac unit needed

Does anyone know if a manufacturer is making an ac unit, that ships dry and can be charged w/ 407c? We have a job at a church where money is an issue, and they have a 1987
Four ton condenser, three phase that has multiple leaks in the coil, and still has the original compressor. Even if the coil was affordable, which it costs more the twice what a new unit does, we would not recommend the coil be replaced based on the age of the compressor. The air handler is still in good shape and if just the condensing unit could be replaced that would be the most affordable option.
Thanks to all

Comments

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,829
    Its gonna be slim pickings. Especially 3 ph I would think.
    Last August, real hot and humid, the electric utility was working nearby and the spikes shorted my compressor. I filed a claim with them but of course that went nowhere.
    After numerous calls I found a dry rebadged York from B&F Johnstone Supply.
    Had it delivered the next day. Got home from work that evening about 8:30 and had my beloved A/C back on by midnight. I didn't think my wife and boys loved me so much until then.
    Best of luck.
    The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away. But He took away my A/C so now we're not speaking until he apologizes.
  • John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 951
    York does sell a 407c unit under one of their low end brands. https://www.orderguardianhvac.com/

URI has a 407c unit as well. Probably a better unit, made by Rheem
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,060
    As you would have the system pumped down anyway, you could consider adding a suction line filter before the existing compressor and insuring a large LL filter was installed also. Then if a burnout occurs the system would be protected from acid residue. Then you simply change the compressor.

I have a church with the original 1971 Lennox compressor in one unit and another unit had compressor failure and replacement about 30 years ago. Both compressors are still running today. However, it is a church that uses the AC only one to two days a week.
  • mikeg2015
    mikeg2015 Member Posts: 1,194
    I think your doing the a disservice trying to cobble it together. Just put in a new 3 phase 410a condenser and then find an aftermarket indoor coil to fit in the existing AHU. Might need to drop to 3.5 tons to be safe.

Alternately, not sure if you can switch cap tube to TXV. But still might need ot drop to 3.5 tons to get enough coil area.

Bottom line to me is it’s the usual pay me now or pay more later. Cobbled up system almost always cost more in the end in operation and when the indoor coil fails, you’re still left with a mismatch.