Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Best Type Insulation 1.25" Boiler Black Pipe

D107
D107 Member Posts: 1,849
New hot water boiler install. Have about 30ft of 1.25" black pipe. Various unions, Tees, elbows, check valves, threaded pipe clamps, etc. Usually it seems 1 inch fiberglass is recommended over the big box stores back foam pipe. (See photo.) Looking at metro-supply in clifton new jersey they have a product 'Fiberglass ASJ Max'. I could also insulate about 5-15 ft of near boiler/indirect 3/4" copper piping and up the hot water line a bit. Obviously I can't insulate over circulators. check valves? Like to get those zone valve and heating zone manifolds if possible.

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    1" asj is fine. You can buy PVC fitting covers that come with insulation you can buy 90s, 45s, tees, and end caps. Most of the time on heating they cover the pipe and elbows and tees and leave circulators and specialty items uncovered.

You can use tees for covering ball valves. Most professional insulators miter and cut and cope the insulation and can make it look good. For me that is tedious but it can be done if you have the time

D107
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,226
    edited April 2019

Most professional insulators miter and cut and cope the insulation and can make it look good. For me that is tedious but it can be done if you have the time

Exactly right. Though they try, I can't ask my plumbers to do this work as well as the guys who do nothing but insulation all day long. I prefer to hire insulators for the best workmanship.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • D107
    D107 Member Posts: 1,849
    edited April 2019
    I can see the value of having pros do this. If anyone can recommend a company in the ny area let me know. (I'm in Westchester).

Also i'm wondering if the boiler room returns should be insulated including zone valve manifold. Two of three zones are ci rads and returns can get quite cold esp in shoulder seasons. Insulation might just lock the coldness in.

And then I guess I could put some kind of insulation wrap around the Turbomax itself.