Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Wholesaler pet peeves

Options
2»

Comments

• MikeL_2
    MikeL_2 Member Posts: 489
    Options
    I predict a very few brick & mortar wholesalers will survive the onslaught of internet commerce. Internet invoices are flaunted like a badge of honor by those who place extreme value on their ability to find it cheaper. Many of these consumers also choose to ignore standard best practice, licensed & insured installers, and, code compliance, safety, and liability.
    Except in cases where injury & severe property damage has occurred, there are few things more satisfying than getting paid well to correct missteps and show the skills that it takes to perform at a high level......
    CLamb
  • Mike_Sheppard
    Mike_Sheppard Member Posts: 696
    Options
    Was looking for a 1/12hp B&G motor. Super common motor. Not a single vendor in the entire area had one in stock. Drove 2 hours back to the shop to get one.
    Never stop learning.
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,526
    Options
    Did you consider replacing the pump, @Mike_Sheppard ?
    Retired and loving it.
  • ScottSecor
    ScottSecor Member Posts: 855
    Options
    Recently installed two 600,000 BTU gas fired condensing boilers from one of the larger US manufacturers. A few weeks after the install we were notified that the state inspector was coming in two days and he wanted "common" spare parts on site before he would sign off. These parts included a spare system circulator, spare primary circulator, flame rods and ignition electrode (igniter). Pumps were no problem, in stock at local supplier. Called a total of seven suppliers and not one of them had a ignition electrode (igniter) or a flame rod in stock for these boilers. Desperate, (with a tight timeline) I called the factory, they could get them ready for me within two days if I was willing to drive there (after ordering through a wholesaler). Thankfully, the inspector let us slide when he arrived.

My point is that a common item could be so difficult to get. I suspect the manufacturer has produced and sold at least 5,000 of this model (or similar sizes) of this boiler, and no one needed a flame rod or igniter for the last four or five years it has been produced?

I agree with most of the comments on suppliers these days. We much prefer brick and mortar stores and will pay a fair price. However, when my closest supplier decided to go from a four million dollar inventory to one million dollar inventory (and took on air conditioning at roughly the same time) things changed for the worse. We keep a lot of stock in our shop and I'm grateful to have it.

I'm hopeful that some of the new equipment (mainly condensing boilers, commercial and residential) will start sharing more parts. It would be wonderful if all the manufacturers would use just one (reliable) brand of draft inducer, or electrode or control panel. Instead we're faced with a different model on practically every boiler in the same family. I'm starting to fully understand why some contractors only do repairs on simple boilers and burners or will only install good old cast iron boilers....
    Intplm.
  • Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,947
    Options
    Funny you should mention this. Was talking with my partner today about the same thing. You make the point saying "I can fully understand why some contractors will only install and work on the simplest products."
    There is just too much stuff out there. One cannot fully take care of customers as well as they would like because of the gluttony of product in existence.
    Contractors that I know and supply houses I work with are all having the same problem. Just can't keep up unless you choose to use and service your choice of product.
    My partner and I just got done talking about only servicing and installing certain brands with the hope that customers will be provided for while being able to get parts from said wholesalers. It's a tough decision to make but a necessary one.
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,626
    Options
    Sounds like the inspector had the right of it!