Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Will copper sulfate crystals damage copper radiant heating pipes

Options
BoilOver2
BoilOver2 Member Posts: 38
I have roots of some kind coming up through the toilet flange. One possible solution is to treat the pipe and surrounding area (my floor is brick on sand) with copper sulfate. The nearby sand would get mixed with the copper sulfate.

I’ve read different things online and it looks like that material is corrosive to different types of metal. I have copper radiant heating piping in the same area as the toilet. Should I be concerned with mixing the copper sulfate into the sand nearby? If yes, are there safer products to use for this type of thing?

Thanks for any suggestions/advice.

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    That’s a new problem I haven’t seen! Is this next to an outside wall?
    Could there be some blockage in the outlet pipe which would slow the velocity of the flushed waste, and therefore not wash all undigested seeds down into the main drain?—NBC
  • BoilOver2
    BoilOver2 Member Posts: 38
    Options
    It’s 5 or so feet to a outside wall on one side and ten to another. Old trees on both walls.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,286
    Options
    Copper sulphate is corrosive, and shouldn't be used in contact with any metal -- unless you want to etch the metal (one of its uses is as an etchant!). I wouldn't use it if your drain pipe or toilet flange is metal (iron or copper) on where it can get at the copper tubing. It's fine with plastic or tile drains.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England