Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Another Lost Art

DanHolohan
DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
Chris Pellettieri, my Brother in The General Society of Mechanics and Tradesman, is a stone carver of remarkable talent. He has started a tuition-free school to teach this ancient art to young people, and now to our veterans. Here's a link to what he does. The video is well worth watching. So is this video, which involves the veterans in the current program.

I just donated a few bucks because I love the passion Chris has for his art and that he wants to keep it alive. I'm proud to call this man my Brother.
Retired and loving it.
Erin Holohan Haskell

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Cool stuff indeed.
    My buddy is an amazing stone mason. He did some stone carving. His old boss/teacher told him it was easy to carve a face out of stone. In his broken English he told him...
    "Take a stone. Chip away everything that isn't the face."
    steve
    Erin Holohan HaskellCTOilHeatforesthillsjd
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    They are amazing people. Many years ago, I had occasion to ge to know some of the men doing the stone carving for the "National" Cathedral (the Cathedral of St. Peter and Paul) in Washington, DC. It was a real treat to watch them work, and see the beauty of their work -- even for stones which no one would ever see again!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • DanHolohan
    Chris has carved a lot of St. John the Divine, which may be finished in a hundred years or so. He’s brilliant.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,276
    A lost art, for sure. Thanks for sharing!
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    That is amazing!
  • DanHolohan
    Chris has a big heart.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Grallert
    Grallert Member Posts: 643
    good stuff
    Miss Hall's School service mechanic, greenhouse manager,teacher and dog walker
  • DanHolohan
    FOX 5 in New York contacted Chris after the Notre Dame fire. Here's their report on his work: http://www.fox5ny.com/news/stone-carver-teaches-craft

Well done, Chris!
    Retired and loving it.
    Erin Holohan Haskell