Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Tran XR80 gas vavle issue

Options
Bjt
Bjt Member Posts: 5
Just installed brand new Trane XR80. 4wks after install gas valve got stuck. Replaced it and 4wk later that gas valve won’t open. Checked ground, gas pressure, and voltage all good not sure what it could be. Any thoughts?

Comments

• ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,626
    Options
    Water in the gas? Dirt/crud?

Does the coil check out electrically? That'll at least point you in the right direction.

• Bjt
    Options
    I did find dirt/ crud in drip leg. There was a 2” 3/4 nipple I will replace it with a 6”.

The coils seems like it’s locked when power is supplied you feel the hum of the coil trying to open
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,525
    Options
    The coil isn't failing so it sounds like dirt, crud & water or moisture.

Call your gas utility & get them involved
    Install an oversized or longer drip leg.
    install a strainer in the gas line

Are any other appliances affected?
  • Bjt
    Options
    No other appliances affected.
    I installed a 6” dripleg
    I see about the strainer.

Gas line was upgraded 10yrs ago. But I will notify gas company

@ratio Took ohms test on both coils new and old they are the same
  • Bjt
    Options
    Thank you all for taking the time to help me out
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,626
    Options
    I once found a dirt leg full of sawdust from when the plumber ran the gas line 6-8 decades ago. Ever since then I make sure it's deep enough.

You might be able to visually verify the valve opening or not by looking into the outlet of the valve while applying power. An ammeter will also prove if the solenoid is moving or not.

Maybe perform a post-mortem on the failed valve, if you're not going to try and get it warranted.

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,525
    Options
    @Bjt

I think this is likely a gas company issue. Call them and don't be soft...****. It is likely they are leaking underground somewhere in the area and if the ground water is up do to the spring thaw water and dirt can get in the pipe. Tell them you changed the valve twice and tell them it is a safety issue....that will frce them to respond......and they should pay for a couple of valves
  • Bjt
    Options

This is what I found in the drip leg